Vision 3 500T (in super 8) is available through Kodak!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Will2

Re: Vision 3 500T (in super 8) is available through Kodak!

Post by Will2 »

Adam I'd be really interested in your thoughts on Cinelicious transfers if you get the time, they look attractive for neg transfers direct to hard drive (even if you reside in the UK)!
They did a Super 8 transfer for me last month. Some negative (50D) and reversal (100D). Went to hard drive, the ProRes HD codec.

After all the qualifications on the web site about it being "90% HD" I was a little concerned.

However, the transfer was great. Especially the negative, it really approached 16mm in quality. Color was excellent, good skin tones and rich color without being overly saturated. The reversal showed more noise than usual in the highlight areas but was still very good and color was only a little more flat than the negative.

Amazing for the price. Service and communication was great too. I'd highly recommend them.

I still rate FSFT in Seattle at about the best Super 8 colorists I've encountered, but Cinelicious is so competitive on pricing they're hard to beat.
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

did you get those upres outlines around the frame? I noticed 2 or 3 "rings" around the frame. Paul said it was artifacts from the process of the Kona upres, if I'm remembering right. They hadn't found a way around it then. Curious if that's still there. It's probably not noticable to most people but I'm a slight perfectionist.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

lealar wrote: I know that common knowledge states a negative cannot be projected or telecined via devices such as the Workprinter, but I figured what's there to lose in trying? Look forward to hearing how it goes.
Thanks,
Art
I am not sure where that common knowledge comes from Art. Here in Toronto I can get neg transfered by film-chain telecine at Photoplays (negative-positive flip occurs within video camera) and Frame Discreet does it with, I believe, a Workprinter.

Rick
Will2

Post by Will2 »

did you get those upres outlines around the frame? I noticed 2 or 3 "rings" around the frame.
Didn't notice them, but I will examine more closely tonight. I was more distracted by the grain or noise in the reversal film than anything although I'm often looking at still frames; when it's running it's not that bad. Negative was really great and I'm looking forward to sending them more.
lealar

Post by lealar »

Rick Palidwor wrote:
lealar wrote: I know that common knowledge states a negative cannot be projected or telecined via devices such as the Workprinter, but I figured what's there to lose in trying? Look forward to hearing how it goes.
Thanks,
Art
I am not sure where that common knowledge comes from Art. Here in Toronto I can get neg transfered by film-chain telecine at Photoplays (negative-positive flip occurs within video camera) and Frame Discreet does it with, I believe, a Workprinter.

Rick
This was referred to in a DIY do at home sense. I'm well aware of the various techniques used in the different transfer houses.
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

Actually, the uprez lines are REALLY tough to see unless you open up your footage in a full screen window (and I'm on a 23" monitor). It may not even be something to be concerned about.

I was looking at my reversal footage and it's really great actually. The only issues I ever saw were that my ekta came off a little dull at times... but upon further review it was because I didn't have full sunlight on those shots! So that was a film limitation.

In a few scenes the colors were not as spot on as I'd hoped... but in others they were. Not sure if it was just a tough job with the colorist or not, though I watched the whole thing. Also, they had some "focus" issues the first time I had the transfer done. I sent it back and they redid it. It still seems slightly soft to me. This could have been growing pains as well.

Here's how my reversal ended up looking from cinelicious on the left... and a pro8 full HD job on the right. I added links since they were too wide for the discussion space here.

http://www.trigger-studios.com/photos/2.png
http://www.trigger-studios.com/photos/3.png
http://www.trigger-studios.com/photos/5.png
http://www.trigger-studios.com/photos/6.png
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
debbeautiful

Post by debbeautiful »

hi just curious,

where do you get super 8 film developed at now? my parents still have their cameras so this is very exciting news, but i wouldn't know where to take/send the film once i shoot it. also, is development expensive?

thanks!
debbie
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

Debbie:

I started a new forum for you.

Adam
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
D_Odell

Post by D_Odell »

That’s exiting.

I film on Beaulieu 4008 ZM II, since this camera has a top at 400ASA, more info here, is the Kodak Vision 3 500T/7219, even going to work for this camera?

Or do you people know if Kodak has a 200T/50T version?

Best,
David
christoph

Post by christoph »

hi david,

yes, the vision3 500T will work just fine in the beaulieu 4008. in fact it's even beneficial to slightly overexpose negative films, so 400 or 320ASA would work best. if there isnt enough light to expose at 400ASA, the camera will fully open anyway and you get the maximum exposure regardless if you have set it to 320, 400 or 500ASA.
as far as i remember the old vision films didnt have a tungsten filter notch, which means the beaulieu will use the 85 filter unless you put in the filter key (or break out the notch yourself). so make sure to check how they are notched and what lighting you use.

200T negative is available as well, but so far "only" as vision2 (which is a very fine film). vision3 200T might get introduced eventually, but it probably takes at least a year from now until it makes it into a super8 cassette.
++ christoph
alex-rus

Post by alex-rus »

christoph wrote:vision3 200T might get introduced eventually, but it probably takes at least a year from now until it makes it into a super8 cassette.
++ christoph
It is bad thing for Super 8 shooters :?

Remember, how many existed a first "Vision" series, before Vision 3 introduction...
________
Alexander,
filmmaker from Russia
alex-rus

Post by alex-rus »

I just saw that it is now available in Wittner catalog under the same price as the V2 500T. They suggest good discount for V2 500T now :wink:

http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katal ... _filmm.php
________
Alexander,
filmmaker from Russia
christoph

Post by christoph »

alex-rus wrote:It is bad thing for Super 8 shooters :?
well, considering that there is no vision3 other then 500T in 35mm and 16mm either, i dont really see why it would be a bad thing for super8 ;).
in fact i'm amazed and very pleased that kodak released vision3 500t at all in super8 (and rather fast imo).
++ c.
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

I am with Christoph. Kodak offering Vision 3, the most modern motion picture filmstock available, is amazingly great. To offer this to super 8 film makers is a sure sign that they support the small format community.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
D_Odell

Post by D_Odell »

I just spoke to a sales person at Kodak in Sweden and they will recive the Vision 3 sometime this or the next week for Super 8. You can then order from http://www.wibergsfoto.se/

Best,
David