amusing/heartbreaking goodwill story

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Rick Palidwor

amusing/heartbreaking goodwill story

Post by Rick Palidwor »

Saw a 35mm SLR camera at the Goodwill today and the clowns stuck the price tag on the middle of the lens. Laugh or cry?
Rick
CHAS

Re: amusing/heartbreaking goodwill story

Post by CHAS »

Rick Palidwor wrote:Saw a 35mm SLR camera at the Goodwill today and the clowns stuck the price tag on the middle of the lens. Laugh or cry?
Rick
Yeah, it's horrible when you see stuff like that. At this one thrift shop in Culver City I saw a bunch of Canon SLRs that had just been tossed together in one big grab-bag box. No lens caps, the lenses probably ruined, just awful. The idjits didn't know or care about what they had.
Blue Audio Visual

Re: amusing/heartbreaking goodwill story

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

A bit under 20 years or so ago I was working in a 2nd hand HiFi & Camera shop. Come Christmas the owner's very stupid girlfriend decided to show some initiative and spread some seasonal cheer by festifying (is that a real word???) the window display. She bought a can of fake snow, got into work early, and sprayed it all over the equipment in the window, including on the chassis and valves of a pair of QUAD II Monoblock Valve/Tube amps and several top-quality SLR kits, some of which had no caps on the front of the lenses.

Needless to say it took a loooonnnnggggg time to clean up, and even then a lot of the items could not be brought back to their former good condition. I can't remember whether or not anything was terminally damaged.

She couldn't work out what she had done wrong despite being shouted at by all & sundry. Ignorance really is bliss sometimes I guess...