Help! I need a Pressure Plate for my K-3!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

cubdukat

Help! I need a Pressure Plate for my K-3!

Post by cubdukat »

I just recently won a new K-3 from eBay, and the camera seems to be in more or less good condition, except that it's missing the pressure plate. I ran a small bit of film through it while I was threading it, and the film seems to be pretty well-seated in the gate. Obviously, though, I still would like to have the plate in there because I've read the K-3 sometimes has loop issues.

Is there any place I could pick up one of these? I've tried Kiev USA, and given their response to me when I e-mailed them about bayonet-mount lenses for the K-3, I don't expect a whole lot.

On the odd chance that I can't get one, as long as the in-camera loop is maintained, how crucial is the pressure plate?
"You made me choke a chicken on national television...twice in one day!"

--Kevin Smith, after killing a tic-tac-toe playing chicken in Kissimmee, FL, "Kevin Smith's Roadside Attractions"
1mic

Re: Help! I need a Pressure Plate for my K-3!

Post by 1mic »

Since you didn't get an answer up to now, you might try this:

http://www.k3camera.com/k3/k3ordering.php

Although $79.-- is a bit steep perhaps..
cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

Donde los yikes!

I think I'll wait until after I have the test footage back before I plunk down $80 on a pressure plate.

I just wish I could have used the one from the B&H cam I have, but it's too big. Apparently the K-3 one is smaller. Shoulda kept the first K-3 I had; I could have cannibalized it for parts.

From the little bit I saw of the film when I was threading the K-3, it seems to be pretty flat against the gate. I didn't see it pop up at all, but then again, I haven't seen what it's doing now.

--Kevin Smith, after killing a tic-tac-toe playing chicken in Kissimmee, FL, "Kevin Smith's Roadside Attractions"
reflex

Post by reflex »

cubdukat wrote:I think I'll wait until after I have the test footage back before I plunk down $80 on a pressure plate. ... From the little bit I saw of the film when I was threading the K-3, it seems to be pretty flat against the gate. I didn't see it pop up at all, but then again, I haven't seen what it's doing now.
What?!

The film pressure plate is not an optional accessory. There are very tight tolerances at the film plane. Omit the pressure plate and your footage will suffer from breathing focus and misregistration. I understand you don't want to waste $80 on a new plate, but shooting and processing 100 feet of bad film will cost about the same, plus wasted time.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
lunni

Post by lunni »

Hey, you definitely need the pressure plate, without it all you get is jumpy useless footage. Resulting footage is not even 'artistically' interesting, unlike many other defects. Just plain bad. At least for me. Someone more out of place may find it interesting, though...

And yes before you ask, I've tried it. On purpose, believe it or not :)
CineGuerrilha

Post by CineGuerrilha »

Hi, ask Olexandr Kalynichenko and rafcamera (www.rafcamera.com) or www.geocities.com/russiancamera

they r technicians and they might have a dead k3 that they could strip the plate. No way u can shoot without. it will jam almost immediately.
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

reflex wrote: What?!

The film pressure plate is not an optional accessory. There are very tight tolerances at the film plane. Omit the pressure plate and your footage will suffer from breathing focus and misregistration. I understand you don't want to waste $80 on a new plate, but shooting and processing 100 feet of bad film will cost about the same, plus wasted time.
I agree - no matter how tight it appears to be sitting it's not tight enough. Movements of a millimetre will be catastrophic on a tiny frame. If you want useable images you have no other choice than to get a pressure plate.

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

I was afraid of that. I kinda figured that would be the case, though.

It'll have to wait until the 22nd, though. I'm kinda tapped out right now.

cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

I know it's been ages since I started this, but I finally found a pressure plate this past August. Actually, it involved buying a dead K-3 body and cannibalizing the pressure plate--which is unfortunate because it had the M42 screw mount.

I shot some stuff at a street fair this summer (the Village People showed up, no less!) and just put the footage in to Spectra. They just informed me that at least half of the footage is suffering from torn sprockets. In fact, it's so bad that they're running it separately from other batches. Not good.

So, as of today, the K-3 is IMMEDIATELY retired (both of them), and I will never get another one of these things again. To quote comedian Kevin James, "It's an awful lotta work for not a lotta fun." As soon as I can find an eyepiece for the Bell & Howell 240, I'm going back to that one. It was way easier to load, got sharp footage and was a lot more travel-friendly.

Davideo

Post by Davideo »

So, as of today, the K-3 is IMMEDIATELY retired (both of them), and I will never get another one of these things again.
How bad is this problem among many users? A guy is going to sell me one that's rarely been used.
Davideo

Post by Davideo »

http://www.k3camera.com/k3/krasnogorsk- ... videos.php

See the above link. If there's been torn sprockets, I think it may be because you need to create slack on the right side of the gate after you've threaded the film.
sk360

Post by sk360 »

Got to agree with Clubdakat. This was the most miserable 16mm camera I have ever used: torn brackets, lost loop. ruined film,ect. It's such a shame because it actually has a mirror shutter just like an Arri. Even the little Russian super 8 Quartz was a better camera! I'll never touch a K-3 ever again.