Super16 Telecine to HD

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

fritzcarraldo

Super16 Telecine to HD

Post by fritzcarraldo »

Hello,

I've asked this before in this forum, but, the time has passed and i would like to know about your latest experiences regarding telecine,

I shot a Super16 short film recently and i'm developing it myself, it's Kodak Double-x 250D, i'm using D-96 developer by the way,

I'm thinking in getting it telecined to HD soon

I need to edit sound and image in HD so i can think making a print later maybe to 35mm

I don't have much money though

So, in your opinion what would be the best/affordable place to get it telecined to HD?

It's 35 minutes of raw footage

I've worked with some labs in the last few years and i wasn't very happy with results,

Please give me your opinion, i would be very gratefull,

Best Regards
avr

Re: Super16 Telecine to HD

Post by avr »

I worked with Dejonghe in Belgium.
Very professional guys. You can telecine your S16 to HD or SD Hard disk. (DPX log files)

http://www.color-by-dejonghe.be/
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

no.w.here lab in London does broadcast telecine from 16mm. I was at a workshop there last week. They have a nice setup in Bethnal Green Road east London. I think they are on holiday 'till September.

http://no-w-here.org.uk

Gianni 8)
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...by the sounds of it I think Beta is probably your format (SP or Digi) both are great for digital projection. Since you are working in black and white you don't need the color space of HD. It sounds like you need a high quality scene to scene SD transfer and that will cost you between 250.00 + 350.00usd / hr

This said, Modern Digital in Seattle could do your S16 - HD at approx 350./hr

I say forget about 35mm prints. I have been getting notifications from some festivals asking please don't send 35mm because it costs too much to ship back. "Just send digi beta" Also many festivals don't have HD decks. BetaSP is still the standard and will be for the foreseeable future. Digital is easier and cheaper is looking really good on high-end digital projection systems. So I suggest saving your cash and going for high quality SD on a Spirit, Shadow or Sony Vialta somewhere with a good colorist.

http://www.shikashika.com
Last edited by steve hyde on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

http://www.fsft.com
http://www.moderndigital.com

are the local places for me in Seattle.

What about ToddAO in London?

www.shikashika.com
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Modern Digital is great.

I much prefer them over fsft.

Good Luck
fritzcarraldo

Post by fritzcarraldo »

Hello,

I've emailed Dejonghe a week ago but they didn't replied, anyone know if they are on holidays?

I guess i'll try the other suggestions you gave me, i would prefer a european lab, because i'm in Portugal, but i can also send it to USA,

thank you
fritzcarraldo

Post by fritzcarraldo »

Hello

I've recently asked TrickWILK - www.trickWILK.de in Germany for cost to telecine my 35 minutes raw footage from SUPER16 b/w film

I asked the price for best quality to TIFF telecine, so i could have full quality on frame for possible print to 35mm later,

But obviously i found the price high for my very small budget,

They charge 65€ / minute

So it would cost me around 2300€ to telecine my film, that cost me around 700€ to produce, direct, food, gas, film, chemicals to develop, help from friends, very nice atresses that worked for free etc.

So i really don't know if i should spend this money on the telecine, or should i find a cheaper way to do it,

What do you think?
fritzcarraldo

Post by fritzcarraldo »

Oh but i must add that TrickWILK personel was very kind people, by the way, they were the only laboratory that answered my emails! Neither Dejonghe or Todd answered me...
fritzcarraldo

Post by fritzcarraldo »

Sorry, i meant Modern Digital, not Todd, i think i didn't email ToddAO byt the way
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

Todd AO have closed down - or rather to be a bit more accurate they have merged identities with Soho Images (both were owned by the same parent company), moved into the Soho premises, and are now trading as Soho FilmLab. I'm certain that any emails you send will be forwarded to the right person anyway.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I'm confused.

Are you looking to get an HD xfer or something beyond HD?? If you are looking for something like a 2/4k scan were you get TIFFs back then I am not surprised that you are being quoted what you are.

Good Luck
fritzcarraldo

Post by fritzcarraldo »

Nigel wrote:I'm confused.

Are you looking to get an HD xfer or something beyond HD?? If you are looking for something like a 2/4k scan were you get TIFFs back then I am not surprised that you are being quoted what you are.

Good Luck
Well, it's natural, i'm also a litlle confused, what i want is to have the most quality possible, with the minimum cost,

As i said i've shot and develop the film in Super16 negative B/w and i want to edit the raw footage with sound, that i captured direct with a digital sound system from AKG (also from a friend)

My doubt was if i should make a simple telecine to experiment editing together with sound, so i could edit a print from Super16 and then make a blowup to 35mm later with sound, and have the final version in 35mm for projection

Or if i should telecine it all to high quality in full-frame and edit it all in digital, and have the final version in Digital Betacam or HD

There are many things i need to decide, but i guess i'll try to make a super16 print from negative, and make a "home" telecine (with a super16 projector) and experiment editing, and then proceed to telecine or/and blowup

Well, if you have other suggestion please give it to me,

I thank all the other opinions,

Please understand that i'm also trying to decide what to do, but you've been very helpfull,

Thanks a lot
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

fritzcarraldo wrote:what i want is to have the most quality possible, with the minimum cost
And that is impossible.

Sorry, but you get what you pay for (more or less). If you want the best quality possible it feels weird to expect to pay for a "minimum cost transfer"?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Get a general flat Xfer to HDCam and then do your online off of the HDCam. From there you can take the tape and blow up. It looks good. I've had my stuff done that way.

It will be cheaper than scanning.

Good Luck