Bauer Royal 6E macro

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mondo77

Bauer Royal 6E macro

Post by mondo77 »

I've just bought a Bauer Royal 6E macro. I 'm going to try the B function with E64T shooting late at night in darkness with street/shop/car lights etc as available light. I'm wondering if the camera will treat it as 40 or 160 asa. Ideally I want it to be 160asa. I know I can notch the cartridge but thought I'd check first.
super8man

Re: Bauer Royal 6E macro

Post by super8man »

Ironically, in that situation, it won't matter...there is no "correct" exposure for nighttime shots.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
mondo77

Post by mondo77 »

I had it in my head that if it reads it as 160asa the exposure would be shorter. Either way I have the E64T already. And I'm off on hols in a few weeks. Just time to do a test cart. If it stops raining of course!!!
reflex

Post by reflex »

mondo77 wrote:I had it in my head that if it reads it as 160asa the exposure would be shorter. Either way I have the E64T already. And I'm off on hols in a few weeks. Just time to do a test cart. If it stops raining of course!!!
If it exposes as 160 ASA, you'll get *less* light on the film. E-64T is already an incredibly slow film for nightime use - don't make things worse by underexposing by 1 1/3 stops.

This is one instance where it is actually beneficial to have your camera incorrectly meter E-64T as a 40 ASA film - you'll need every bit of light you can get. In fact, if it was me I'd lock the aperture wide open at f/1.8.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
super8man

Post by super8man »

Instead of shooting the lens at its softest position (f1.8), why not stick a neutral density filter over the filp out light sensitive device? Would work perfectly by lengthening time the shutter stays open...sent the camera to f5.6 for good results...use duct tape or masking tape to secure the filter in place over that little swing out dohickey. My website has a picture of that device...
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
mondo77

Post by mondo77 »

Super8man/Reflex

Thanks for you help. I need to go back a step, though, and ask some basic questions before I do anything. I don't have camera instructions. I've read what's on net including your site...but...

1. There's a big button on left side of camera marked 1 and 2. What does it do? I've turned the winder to the 1 setting and the camera runs (and I get a green light and a red light in viewfinder); if I turn to the 2 setting the camera runs with just the green light on. What's the difference?

2. The big button has a smaller button in the middle. Half of it is silver the other brown/bronze. I've turned the button so the silver half is on the left and then the right but, again, can't see any difference. You can alter the exposure manually in all these settings using a green thumbwheel under a flap on the camera top so it can't be to do with exposure(?)

3. There's also a little lever to the right of the winder with green circle and red circle settings. I've failed to do anything useful with these.

Give us a clue!!!!

Mondo77

NB Everything else on the camera I have sussed I think. I'll report what I know later just in case anyone else ever needs a rundown of the camera.
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

The big dial on the side is the shutter control.
Allows one variable adjustments as well as fades and cross dissolves.
A bit complex to explain. You really should get the manual.
I don't like to admit it, but once I fired off 2 rolls of K40 in the Bauer A512, only to realize 2 weeks later the shutter dial was completely closed resulting in black footage. The camera actually had a couple of faults which I'll blame in my anger.

vidwerk.
mondo77

Post by mondo77 »

Vidwerk,

You've got me worried now! Last thing I want are black footages. I've just ordered the manual but paying over the odds for a photocopy always annoys me. Never mind.

I see the dial moves through 180 degrees. In B function, camera runs with green light. If you turn dial through 180 to bottom it stops running and shows red. In fact red comes on before 180 degrees completed so that's presumably shutter control.

I'm working it out slowly. I notice the small button inside the dial depresses and pops back out but I've not got that sussed yet either.
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

Nothing to be worried about. Just be cautious. Good thing you're getting a manual. If ever in doubt, look through the back of the camera and ensure you can see light coming through the gate while running the camera.
Doesn't hurt to practice engaging the fade and cross dissolve feature without film so you know how it works to determine if it's ever engaged or not.
In order to use the "b" function of this camera, you don't even have to mess with the shutter dial. Everything is controlled with the swing out light sensor. Just make sure that the shutter dial in its normal position of 180 prior to filming.

vidwerk.
mediumformatphoto

Post by mediumformatphoto »

You will definitely be glad once you get the manual -- I was lucky the 10e Makro I have came with the original manual. It's very easy to get confused as to what's going on since the camera doesn't label anything--just letters or symbols.

Last week I got confused when doing a simple timelapse in daylight, and the camera kept shutting off after so many frames. Turns out the lap/dissolve settings had not been cleared, and I doubt anyone would figure out how to do that without the manual. :roll:

I've only tried the auto "B" low light feature once so far, and everything seemed to work well. I was just testing to make sure it worked, setting it up in my backyard on a tripod. I would suggest you try all the features with test footage before you film something importnat with it.

R.J.