Film Not Advancing in Camera?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

nathan130

Film Not Advancing in Camera?

Post by nathan130 »

I have a Chinon 806 SM/Direct Sound Super 8 camera which I've successfully shot one cartridge of super-8 film on so far. Now that I was at a wedding shooting my second cartridge the film doesn't seem to be advancing properly. In the viewfinder at the top when the film is normally advancing there's a small box that flicks from dark to light when the film is moving, and when the roll is done it goes to red. It flicks back and forth when I first start filming for maybe 3 or 4 seconds then jams and stops, though I can still hear the motor running.
Is the film possibly actually still travelling properly? What could be broken that it would not be moving properly? Any suggestions? I've already tried switching batteries. As well as popping the cartridge out and putting it back in.
Thanks.
downix

Re: Film Not Advancing in Camera?

Post by downix »

I have the 1206, model up from yours. Had this happen once with a roll of Plus-X. Fixing it was simple, I advanced the film by-hand in the gate by 5-6 frames, then put it back in. Ran like a champ after that.
nathan130

Post by nathan130 »

thanks for the reply.
i would try what you suggested, but i plugged in my universal ac adaptor into the camera, didnt even plug it into the wall, but apparently i set something up wrong since nothing runs on it when turned on now. something mustve been fried on the inside, and its pretty much a hunk of garbage now.
time for a new camera... this sucks.
downix

Post by downix »

Let me guess, you used a 12v instead of the 9v it needs?

I dug through my box of stuff, I have an 806 here as well, but it too is a paperweight.