Canon 814/1014XLS vs Beaulieu and Leicina Special comparison

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

fogo

Re: Canon 814/1014XLS vs Beaulieu and Leicina Special comparison

Post by fogo »

Ah the joy of self-denial! :D

As you well know Mike, 'sharpness' is an ancient myth in all film based mediums, and an element in the alter-ego of all super8 shooters...a dirty little secret, an impulse that drives many on their quest for the holy grail of cameras...and even cameras with expensive prime lenses, a habit, an addiction that needs to be fed...

Ignoring the good advice (even their own advice) to buy the cheapest, lesser known cameras they begin their journey.....the camera collection steadily grows. They post pictures of all their experiments on forums, begin discussions like this one, maybe even put together a website discussing the pros and cons of various models. But despite what they say in public, at home, with the lights off and the projector running, all those ebay super8 purchases are feeding nothing but disappointment. And thats when they start to dabble with the dark side.

It starts with 'normal 8'. Doesn't sound that dangerous does it? Soon the collection is expanding in a new direction...things are getting sharper, its all becoming clearer...scouring ebay for all those rare H8 primes. But the quest continues, and soon, we've entered the strange world of Double super8. Our hero might have a pang or two of guilt here, realising that they've now bought a 16mm camera in all but name. And this is where they are suddenly struck by a moment of incredible clarity, a sharply focused zen realisation. The answer lies in the East.

They do not renounce their former words. There is no need now to change their name or appearance. What matters now, is the clarity, the sharpness of it all. Rejecting the false gods of the other formats and the profanity of prime lenses, they begin to follow a simple life. Indeed, a Single life. A simple philosophy, little known outside its native Japan, this is the true creed, the righteous path. And so, the homage begins, to that holiest of places.

The towering moutain that is Fuji.

Hope this helps,
Fogo
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

Fetishing 'sharpness' as being the ultimate yardstick for 'performance' of a Super 8 camera completely ignores other important issues such as ergonomics. In terms of picture quality alone, the lens coatings make a massive difference to the ultimate 'look' of reversal film, and this is why IMHO the results from 814/1014XL-S cameras look really good.

The Nizo Pro lens has different coatings from others that ostensibly use the same Macro-Variogon lens (801m), and the difference in terms of colour reproduction and perceived sharpness is pretty apparent.

Nikon R10, 1014XL-S, 7008, Special etc. may be great cameras, but you can't easily sling them in your bag, grab them out with one hand and shoot from the hip in the same way that you can with a low-end Sankyo or one of the Eumig Minis etc.

Mike Nyberg is right - "Just use a camera that meets your needs".
bakanosaru

Post by bakanosaru »

I only have two super 8 cameras now a Canon 1014 XL-S and a Eumig Nautica both are easy to make nice images with. Neither have the sharpest lenses to be found on a super 8 camera.

What I recently discovered was the Bolex H16 Rx far sharper than any S8 camera I've used and I can have 100' processed and printed locally overnight for only slightly more than super 8 (okay nearly twice the price). Projects bigger, brighter and won't damage my original, not to mention the stock choices. I suppose that's a dirtier secret than Single 8.
romeojesus

Post by romeojesus »

Here´s some leicina footage.

you´ll need the DIVX plugin to watch

http://www.8stage.com/play/_divx.php?ur ... -flow.divx
super8man

Post by super8man »

Not sure what Fogo was getting at but what went through my mind when I posted was that it is almost impossible to measure "apparent sharpness" since in our medium of film, the BRAIN fills in the gaps between the 24fps (or whatever speed) you run...that much is unmeasurable...a still image from a reel of film is not a proxy for sharpness of movie film...

And yeah, just shoot 16mm - it is the greatest format out there.

I hope I have no words to renounce...I have enjoyed all my cameras over the years and when it comes to selecting a camera to use for any given project or outing, sharpness is not usually on the top of my list...

And usually, if people actually projected their images, they would be incredibly happy with the sharpness of even the most cheap cameras bought on ebay...there's something about transferring to AVI that makes the images less nice...
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Elmogs

Post by Elmogs »

I have owned the Beaulieu 6008S Digital with the 6-80 lens, the Canon 814XLS, and the Leicina Special. I found the 6008S cumbersome to use and it is not for filming on the fly. But with proper care and time you can get very good images with the Beaulieu. The Canon 814 was just as sharp as the Beaulieu but it was very good for filming on the fly. Exposure set on automatic with Tri X all came out perfectly.
The Leicina was sharper than the other two with TriX. It is true that there seems to be a little bit of "shimmer" or sparkle to the image. I used the Cinegon which was amazing and I also used the 6-66mm. That was a great lens too.
If I had to choose quality of the image and portability (with the Cinegon the whole setup fits almost in the palm of your hand) I would choose the Leicina.
For ease of use the camera I would take would be the 814xls. If I wanted to impress with a sexy looking camera..Beaulieu. I sold all of them and still have the Leicina. Great camera and the one I am keeping.
alex-rus

Post by alex-rus »

Canon 1014XL-S is sharp as Beaulieu 6008 with 6-80 lens? It is really good, but I think that some tests with resolution chart can resolve this dispute.
________
Alexander,
filmmaker from Russia
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

hi, canon 1014xls is not as sharp as the 6-80, especially wide open, i have both in my toybox, leicina special with 6-66 or the 10mm wins the resolving power war. Different cameras for different jobs, run and gun, go for a 1014xls, time to plan and carry out your shoot beaulieu, leicina pitched between the two, desert island, with just one camera to choose, leicina special will be the one for me.
super8man

Post by super8man »

...desert island, with just one camera to choose, leicina special will be the one for me.
Where would you get AA batteries, film, processing, a computer for NLE, DVD's, projector, and screen, and of course, electricity?

I don't think desert islands and super 8 go together...now, a 35mm Leica and some B&W film, paper and a few chemicals CAN go a long way on a desert island...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Leica??

A lot of good that will do you...

Sounds like a $5,000 signal mirror.

I would take a Nikkormat or a Pentax Spotmatic.

Good Luck
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

:lol: didn't think of that, no batts on a desert island, or no where to my projector in, DURH !!!!, ok you smart lot, i meant to say, if i had to choose one cam, it would the the leicina:)
super8man

Post by super8man »

Leica??

A lot of good that will do you...

Sounds like a $5,000 signal mirror.

I would take a Nikkormat or a Pentax Spotmatic.
There you go picking cameras that need batteries...and useless sized ones at that...no, I would take either my Retina II with the Ektar f2.0 or the Leica IIIf with the 15mm Heliogon...photography without batteries, you should try it!!

Cheers,
Mike

As for single fave camera for the desert island? Why the Eumig Nautica of course...you silly fools - the tsunami will drown your precious Leicinas...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

No...

They need batteries for light meters.

The cameras don't need batteries.

Good Luck
super8man

Post by super8man »

However, you also forgot, when the mercenary ship passes by, I will be able to secure passage with my Leica...since, like Rolex, Leica is as good as gold. But, you will be left behind with your Pentax and Nikkormat (what is that, a Nikon copy they may ask?)

Happy trails...

OR

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Silly S8Man

You remember the archives??

I wear Omega.

Good Luck
PS-A real Merc doesn't want the Leica he wants the stash of M14s since they are the Omega of small arms.
Last edited by Nigel on Wed May 28, 2008 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.