Options for making printable DVD's

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Scotness

Options for making printable DVD's

Post by Scotness »

This is something I've never done before - so I'm after a few tips - I take it there are two ways to do it -- DVD's that you can actually print onto, and labels that you can print and stick onto the discs.

Can anyone give me any feedback on these, or other methods - what would you reccomend?

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Plastik

Post by Plastik »

I haven't printed directly all that much however I do print onto labels at work all the time and I don't have any problems.
I think that the label actually protects the disc better??? I'm not sure, but isn't the data closer to the top surface of a burnt disc, making it the more sensitive side???
Don’t quote me on this – but I’m pretty sure it’s true.
Ertugrul Togacay
MoonstruckProductions

Post by MoonstruckProductions »

We used to print onto labels and stick them on the discs. But, some of our clients complained that the disc would not play in their DVD players. I don't know if it was the added weight, but we stopped using labels and have not had any issues since.

We use the Casio CW-100 thermal printer now. It doesn't allow for much flexibility as far as the images or placement of text, but it is clean and clear and does the job. I'd say we have printed over 1000 discs in the past year and not one return.

-Scott
chachi

Post by chachi »

I print on DVD's and CD's all the time. I have two printers, a Canon ip6700D and an Epson R300. The results are amazing and you can even add a clear coat to obtain a shine and further protect the image (never felt the need).

I use Ridata printable cd's as they are very good and they play in every cd player I've ever tried them in. They cost about $15 for 50...
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

some disadvantages of labels:
  • When the label isn't 100% centred, the CD/DVD will become out-of-balance.
  • When the label isn't 100% fixed, it'll glue into your player.
  • Some glue used by cheaper labels tend to dissolve or to even started pitting the CDs/DVDs over the years.
Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Epson R300 and full-face printable discs.

the R300 comes with basic software for making nice prints onto DVDs and CDs.

That's really all you need to know.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
reflex

Post by reflex »

Angus wrote:Epson R300 and full-face printable discs.

the R300 comes with basic software for making nice prints onto DVDs and CDs. That's really all you need to know.
I second Angus and chachi. We own an Epson R260 that cost a mere $79 on sale. It comes with a little plastic CD/DVD tray that you insert into the bottom of the paper path which ensures good registration. The image quality and resolution is on par with commercially produced discs. In fact, we now use it here to print short runs of our old releases. The only downside is the cost of ink, but that's a concern with all inkjets.

Labels look absolutely awful in comparison.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Angus

Post by Angus »

Been using the R300 at work for a few years now and it hasn't let us down...its used as a general office printer as well as for printing DVDs and CDs. As long as you keep the white markings on the plastic disc guide clean it has no vices I can think of, print quality is on a par with pro discs. Obviously there's no automation, you feed discs one by one manually so its fine for short runs...not so much fun for hundreds. The ink is cheaper than HP and Canon inkjets, shop around for deals on ink.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
chachi

Post by chachi »

I use hobby colors refillable Bulk ink. I also use the German method of refilling for my Canon 6700d. A small hole at the bottom front of the cart is all that is needed to refill the cart and you don't even have to seal the hole back up. NO LEAKS EVER!

The R300 has a wonderful hack where you remove the rear compartment
(held on with 1screw) and pull the little hose out and place it into an external container. Now all your waste ink goes into the container and you never risk having to replace the waste ink sponge or deal with waste ink error...
I also have a Ciss system for the R300, but refilling carts is so easy that I have been put off installing it. Just google for more info...
Angus

Post by Angus »

Good tip about the waste ink I will have a look at the R300 I work with tomorrow (its hooked up to my video editing machine at work).

One cool thing you can do with the R300 is scan a professional disc and then reproduce the label on a copy....of course working in a school I would only do that for educational discs. Its more fun to design and make my own labels.
MoonstruckProductions

Post by MoonstruckProductions »

You guys have me curious about this now. A few questions,

#1. How long does it take to print 1 DVD?
#2. How many DVD's can you print with 1 ink cartridge?
reflex

Post by reflex »

I'm duping discs this afternoon. It took 2:28 to print a single copy from the time I pressed "print." (with full color artwork across the entire disc).

The Epsons use six individual ink carts, so you can replace each color only when needed. I suspect I could print around 200 discs like this one on a single set of ink.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

1- It depends on what you want to print, and on the printer.

2- It depends on what you want to print, and on the printer.