Super 8 on UK TV

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

dantheman not logged in

Super 8 on UK TV

Post by dantheman not logged in »

Heya all,

If anyone cares our beloved format was on telly on sunday. The Heaven and Earth Show (yes, I am that sad....). They were doing a piece on a Cathedral amd intercut it with super 8 to give and more impressionistic feel of the cathedral. To be honest, it was a bit out of focus (it was a presenter led piece - he probably did it himself!!!).

There were some rather strange orangey-red flashes - almost like a white out. I'm sure it was by mistake, but it looked ok. Does anyone know what this is or how to achieve it?

Best
Dan
Angus

Post by Angus »

I didn't see the programme in question but it sounds like an effect you can get on standard 8mm towards the end of the spool, where light gets to the film as the spool is turned over mid-shoot.

This could be simulated of course electronically, or they fogged the film...perhaps deliberately.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Heya

Thanks angus. I have a feeling that there is a thread on this somewhere. I think people were saying you could do it on super 8 by taking out the cartridge and exposing it to the light...

Daniel