HD DVD is dead.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Nigel

HD DVD is dead.

Post by Nigel »

Well, Blu-Ray may have pulled ahead in its race thus far. But, it can't out run faster connections, larger hard drives and the cloud.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/index.html

HD DVD is dead long live HD.

Good Luck
Jean Poirier

Post by Jean Poirier »

Time to buy Planet Earth on HD. Jean
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

Wal-Mart also announced full Blu-Ray support (dropping HD-DVD in the process) in the past couple days.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Well... who cares? BTW: I still take bets that Bluray will be replaced by video-on-demand (via internet) and the next disc-format (e.g. "Holographic Versatile Disc" as it'll offer enough space for uncompressed HD-video) within 3-5 years...

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
super8man

Post by super8man »

I believe the reality will hit that DVD was good enough for the product presented. Meaning, most shows barely deserved to be watched and those that are, DVD is just fine. Let's place bets on how long BluRay will be around. I am thinking it will be about as useful and remembered as fondly as Iomega Zip discs...

Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
DriveIn

Post by DriveIn »

super8man wrote:....I am thinking it will be about as useful and remembered as fondly as Iomega Zip discs... Cheers, Mike
I think I used my iomega three times before I shelved it, then I eventually bought a USB Flash Drive with more capacity and no moving parts. I went straight from 8-tracks to compact disc, skipped the cassette tape generation completely. Now I'm waiting to go from 1980's VHS equipment to what ever industry will finally decide is the current technology. Since I really have no video equipment except an analog TV, old vhs camcorder and my aged computer, I'm wide open to upgrades for everything. My old VHS player died finally after all these years. I still have a rotary dial phone and it's the only one to survive the occasional lightning strikes. Even the old touch tone ma bell phones succumbed eventually, but the rotary keeps on ticking. Old ma bell phones are cheap at rummage sales, about 25 cents for a box of them. I'm still in no hurry with all the hoopla, I can wait to see what becomes the next video standard, right after I sign up for my government coupon later this summer for a digital broadcast tuner for my analog TV. Think I'll go oil the leather harness up so I can hitch up the horse and go shopping today. :wink:
super8man

Post by super8man »

Yuck, horse doo doo in the roads...ahh yes, fond remembrances of laying down my coat on the street for my lady to walk on. And don't forget to bring the nose gay!!! :lol:

I already signed up for my two "digital coupons" the gov is sending out to help me move "up" to digital "quality" television should I decide to use rabbit ears.

What a crazy place.
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

Ha I have fond memories of Iomega drives... The Zip was probably the only storage device in computer history which could get a hardware virus... the dreaded 'click of death', I remember at college it would happen to someone's disk and they'd try it in another machine, and the damaged disk would break that drive too, etc. -_-
Tim Drage
films - http:///www.spiteyourface.com
noise - http://www.cementimental.com

"It's cheaper to shoot someone with a gun than a film camera." - amishman35
reflex

Post by reflex »

super8man wrote:I already signed up for my two "digital coupons" the gov is sending out to help me move "up" to digital "quality" television should I decide to use rabbit ears.
Digital OTA broadcasts could revolutionize broadcast television. Many people subscribe to cable or satellite because over the air analog transmissions are often a snowy mess.

Now, if everyone in larger cities could receive 10 decent quality digital channels with rabbit ears, the incentive to subscribe to a broadcast service is dramatically reduced. Yes, some people will want to fork out $45/month for The Australian Nude Cooking Channel, but the major networks and a few funky independents cover a lot of ground. Besides, OTA digital broadcasts are often higher bandwidth than their squished and ultracompressed cable cousins.

On the other hand, it boggles the mind that Uncle Sam is running a massive TV coupon deal. What's next? Giving everyone a few hundred bucks in some misguided scheme to keep the economy afloat? ;)
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

What there's an Australian nude cooking channel?? Where..... where.....where do I get it

:lol: :lol:
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

jpolzfuss wrote:Well... who cares? BTW: I still take bets that Bluray will be replaced by video-on-demand (via internet) and the next disc-format (e.g. "Holographic Versatile Disc" as it'll offer enough space for uncompressed HD-video) within 3-5 years...

Jörg
What technology is achievable and what the industry offers us are often mutually exclusive. For instance, do you think they can't make tires that would outlast your car? If so, then think again..... (I have a friend that has worked at a major tire company for 25+ years)

Collectively, the industry has too much money invested in BluRay to let it die anytime soon and they can force it on the consumer by simply dropping the production of standard def DVD players. So whether standard DVD is "good enough" or not is academic. The money is in selling the disks, not the hardware, and if BluRay is all day be, den dat's what we gets....

Roger
BK

Post by BK »

It would be a good time to buy a HD DVD player and disks at knock down prices as they will become collectors items in the future. :D

Wonder how long BlueRay will last before HD movies available on a solid state chip with players the size of a matchbox for Joe public.
MovieStuff wrote: For instance, do you think they can't make tires that would outlast your car? If so, then think again..... (I have a friend that has worked at a major tire company for 25+ years)
Or the light bulb that last forever. And whatever happened to that 35mm film cartridge that acts as a digital stills capture device for your old manual 35mm SLR? The patents were all bought by the associated major companies/manufacturers of course so they can stay in business.

Bill
super8man

Post by super8man »

Bill,
I have "actively" reminded myself of that vaporware you speak of (the 35mm CCD). So, I recommend eveyone buy ONE good camera of their chosing and sock it away somewheres. Then, one day that may make the market.

Oh, and don't worry, here in California (or was it the USA) we will simply regulate away common sense items like the incandescent lightbulb so that we can all live in flickery light and look a stop and go lights with TONS of broken LED arrays and hold our heads up high and say we are the greatest nation that EVER existed. Poppycock. And don't get me started on "carbon." :roll:

Oh, and hurry and stock up on your 100W lightbulbs while you can. The egg-hatching industry needs you!!!

Cheers,
Mike
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Wonder how long BlueRay will last before HD movies available on a solid state chip with players the size of a matchbox for Joe public
Exactly
100D and Vision 3 please
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

"Yes, some people will want to fork out $45/month for The Australian Nude Cooking Channel, but the major networks and a few funky independents cover a lot of ground. "

We have a nude cooking channel??