C-Mount-Lenses

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jpolzfuss

C-Mount-Lenses

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

I'm currently on the search for a c-mount-lens that matches my anamorphic attachment. Unfortunately I ran into some problems:

a) Is there any webpage that lists c-mount-lenses with their filter-thread-sizes, their weight, ... and whether they're C- or CS-mount? The sellers on hood, ebay, ... normally don't have a clue. And the manufacturer's webpage normally doesn't list any device from the last millenium :(

b) Many C-mount-lenses are labelled as "TV Lens". Can I use them for Super8/Single8? My concerns:
1) It looks like video-cameras often use sensor-size 1/3" (4.8mm x 3.6mm) and 1/2" (6.4mm x 4.8mm). According to SMPTE Standard 157 a Super8-camera should record a 6,22mm x 4,22mm picture (even though the projected size is smaller according to SMPTE Standard 154: 5,31mm x 4,01mm). Hence it looks like 1/2" is large enough while any smaller sensor isn't?!
2) I guess that the "TV Lens"-lenses, that are currently available second hand, have been designed for PAL/Secam/NTSC. Hence they can be of lesser quality than lenses designed for 16mm-cameras. Can I assume that they're of this lesser quality and that they diminish the quality even at Super8/Single8?

I've already bought these two lenses:
a) CANON TV-ZOOM Lens V6x16 16-100mm 1:1,9 - unfortunately it's the version with "motorized iris". I can switch to manual. But the iris doesn't move a bit. Could it be that even the manual mode requires the iris' motor to be connected to some power source? (The plug has got a rather strange shape!)
b) Tokina Nr. 820904 - TV Lens - 1:1,8 / 12,5-75 mm - I still have to clean it. Unfortunately I haven't figured out whether it's CS- or C-mount. And I measured 52mm at the filter-thread, but my 52mm-filters don't fit as they're too large. So is it 49mm? or 48mm? Does anyone have got any details?

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.