Totally OT: 35mm slide film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

RichardB

Totally OT: 35mm slide film

Post by RichardB »

I'm bidding on an inexpensive film SLR camera at the moment to play with, and I'd like to use reversal film with it after enjoying the saturated look of reversal in Super 8 compared to negative. What film do you guys recommend for an f/4-5.6 lens, for shooting anything outdoors such as landscapes, cities, people, and maybe occasionally a bit of indoor low light stuff? Fuji vs. Kodak?

Oh and also, whatever film you recommend, any tips on getting it cheap stock and processing in the UK would be much appreciated! :mrgreen:
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

I'm a hardcore Kodak man myself. That being said: An important note in history is that Fuji's Vevia line effectively put Koadachrome out of business. But at the same time Kodak has some fab 100 speed slide films. Elite Chrome Extra 100 is best for shooting outdoors/ landscpaes etc. Or E100VS which is a pro film. Or a cross between shooting for close up and landscape E100GX But for the mother of all slide films you have the great fortune of still being able to shoot Kodachrome 64. I'd buy a roll of Velvia 50D, E100 & K64 and shoot them all and judge for yourself. Fuji and Kodak both have 200 speed slide films as well for shooting in lower light or action.
Here's a good link compaing Efamily of films:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professi ... 1.16&lc=en
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

I've been using Fujichrome velvia 50 for a few years and only recently started using velvia 100 (not 100F). I actually prefer the 100 over the 50. I can shoot in lower light situations and I find it has greater saturation and seems finer grained than the 50.
I picked up the velvia 100 at Adorama online for about $5.50 USD a roll compared to over $15. at stores in my area.

vidwerk.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I'm not a fan of the Big K's film.

Astia for people

Velvia for landscapes

Provia for nothing.

Good Luck
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

Sod the SLR, get a rangefinder..
what what
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

Thanks for the quick responses guys, a lot of info to absorb there. I think I'll try some K64, and Velvia 100 to start off with.

Another quick question, what is the difference between the 100 and 100F Velvia?
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Velvia is the way to go. Fuji is re-releasing the Velvia 50 but I haven't seen it yet.

The 100 is a great stock too. Really rich colors and it will scan much better than Kodachrome.

Remember, you can still get Kodachrome for your 35mm still camera and Dwaynes still processes it cheap. Problem for me is that Kodachrome just doesn't scan well due to the silver in the process and how film scanners don't handle it very well. Of course you'll have the archiving quality of Kodachrome so I'd shoot some anyway.

Pick up a Holga 120 camera for $19.95 while your at it and have some fun with that format too.
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

I haven't tried the Velvia 100F, but it is said that it and the 100 are very different. Many state that 100F is not as vivid as the 100.
Here is a little blurb.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/velvia100.htm

vidwerk.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

I wanted to test what Ektachrome in 16mm would look like cross processed, and when i called Kodak to try and find out if any of their still films were close to this I was told that Ektachrome 100 VS is the same stock as the Ektachrome sold as 35mm and 16mm motion picture. So if you like the look of Ektachrome 100d in MP film I'd try the Ektachrome 100 VS.

If you can't find Ektachrome 100VS Elite chrome 100 Extra Color is pretty similar.
Last edited by Tyler on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

That explains why I liked Velvia 100F when I shot people with it when I couldn't get my hands on Astia...

I just assumed that they made it better for skin tones.

Hmmm.

Good Luck
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Will2 wrote: Pick up a Holga 120 camera for $19.95 while your at it and have some fun with that format too.

I just got one of these recently, really fun to mess around with.
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

Fuji Velvia 100 is in fact finer grained than 50 which has an RMS grainularity of 10 and 100 of 8.
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

I'd recommend getting some Kodachrome 64- it may not be around for much longer. Also, it's process-paid in the UK and can be bought from any Boots the Chemist!

Until comparatively recently, there was Kodachrome 25, 64 and 200 in 35mm slide film. Now there's just Kodachrome 64 (200 was killed off only last year).

Try Boots own-brand slide film too. 200 ISO, nice sharp pictures, fine grain and bright colours. It's only £7.99 and is also process-paid. That might be the cheapest way to try your new camera and get good slides at the same time.
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

Many thanks for the responses guys, I've put an order in on 7dayshop for 1 x Kodachrome 64 (process paid), 2 x Velvia 100 and 1 x Velvia 50 (the old one). That should be plenty for me to get on with right now as I'm not going anywhere special that warrants taking a lot of film, and I should be able to see what I like best. The stock lens on this camera has a 58mm filter thread, so I also got a graduated blue filter, justified since I can use it on one of my Super 8 cameras too! :D
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

I would avoid using the blue filter since these films are naturally saturated as is. Some people use a polarizer even which can be overkill especially with the velvia 100 I find. Stick with a UV and I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

vidwerk.