Some 64T

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MoonstruckProductions

Some 64T

Post by MoonstruckProductions »

Here are some clips from the first two weddings that we used E64T at this summer. I also have a short clip of my daughter from Pumpkinville. The more I use it, the more I realize that 64T is best at close-ups with lots of sunlight or artificial light. It is not good with shadows or with lots of contrast. Take the wedding clip that starts with the close up of the little girl for example, she looks really good at first and as I zoom out the features lose detail and the lights get blown out as the darks begin to crush. In fact, the people's faces all started to look cartoonish or plastic.

I am going to try some 200T at a wedding on the 29th so I am looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

The pumpkinville video was the first time I edited and rendered a true 18 fps video. I think it looks the smoothest of the three without any frame blending. Or maybe it's just me.

The other two were applied the 18fps rate change but were rendered out to 25 fps (PAL Standard Settings).

http://www.moonpro.us/videos/super8wedding.mov
http://www.moonpro.us/videos/super8wedding2.mov
http://www.moonpro.us/videos/pumpkinville18fps.mov

Enjoy,

Scott
Will2

Post by Will2 »

You observations are accurate on the blacks, but overall I think it looks great for weddings. Even the dirt in the transfer is fine; it ads that authenticity people are looking for. Super 8 probably has more of the nastalgic feeling than 16mm except for possibly a reversal in 16mm.

Do you find couples are still looking for DVD or have any moved on to some sort of HD media?

I've considered shooting a few weddings to support my film habit but I dred something going wrong and missing a key moment for them.
MoonstruckProductions

I guess you are right, Will, about the grungy/crushed look adding to the authenticity for weddings. I'm just so picky. We created a short demo to show potential clients and two clients signed saying, "We were on the fence about hiring a videographer until you showed us the Super 8."

We have shot every wedding in HD since 2005 and nobody asked for anything other than SD DVD's. In the last month we have had 3 couples ask for BluRay and 1 ask for HD-DVD. I am sure it will be a common question at the next bridal show in Jauary.

Last year we were the only vendor of 13 at the show that offerred HD. This year there are 4 of us, so just by making it more common, people will ask about it.

I know what you mean about not wanting to miss something. Right now we only use the Super 8 sparatically, on exits, processionals, pictures, etc. And even then, we have a second videographer shooting video. In fact, you can see my wife crouched down shooting the exit on one of the videos.

One thing is for sure, I am looking forward to offering Super 8 packages for weddings this year.

I also bought that Bolex H16. I'm not sure how to incorporate it into weddings, but I would like to try. My biggest problem, besides the shear weight, is how to handle the noise while it is running. I don't want to piss off any guests or the officiant.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

-Scott
jody88

Post by jody88 »

Your footage looked great. I deffinetly want to do some super 8 weddings in the near future. I got so sick of doing weddings I kept turning them down but super 8 is getting me excited to do them again.
superotto.40

Post by superotto.40 »

In moments of light optimum film responds well, it seems that only the shadows a little flat and the lack of detail depends on a slight underexposure ..
If I can afford a council, working more with the backlight and a lastolite white or gold cloudy.
filmo

Post by filmo »

The second clip looked best IMO. The overcast sky helped keep the contrast down. I wonder if you could paint out that hair at the head of the clip.

The other two seemed too warm for me, and the contrast was a bit high...

I like warmth, but I like it a bit more de-saturated.
MoonstruckProductions

Thanks Jody, welcome to the forum!

Yes, Filmo, I couldn't agree more. The 2nd clip was perfect with the overcast clouds.

The other two clips could easliy be adjusted with regards to the saturation in post. In fact, they probably look a little warm because I set my levels a little warm during telecine. I just can't do anything about the lack of latitude.

-Scott
Plastik

Post by Plastik »

I thought the second one looked the best also. Not to say that the others didn't.
I've shot wedding video's before and they always have a cheezy vibe about them; super 8 looks amazing though. It's very refreshing to see.
Ertugrul Togacay
sooper8fan

Post by sooper8fan »

none of my 64T has looked that yellow! Some of your shots looked good as being nicely warm...but some were super yellow.

I feel the shot of the couple coming down the stairs through the bubbles looks the best, color-wise. Do more of that :wink:

-seth
photo site: http://www.zelophoto.com
photo blog: http://www.zelophotoblog.com
Will2

Post by Will2 »

How are you doing your transfers?

If you're using a Rank then your costs for using 16mm would only be higher film costs. Then you'd find the details on wide shots much more clear. I'd suggest shooting Ektrachrome 100D to keep that "home movie" look. Negative in 16mm would almost look too good... while negative in Super 8 would probably be perfect.

The Bolex is a great camera, but consider looking into a Scoopic 16 as well. The autoiris function and great easy loading would be perfect for weddings. The lens is very sharp in the middle f-stop range.

So are you offering film as an add-on? Like for an additional $800 get 10 minutes of film with your complete video coverage?
MoonstruckProductions

That is an interesting observation about the yellow tint Seth. All shots used the 85B filter and the transfer was done with best light and not scene by scene, so that may attribute to the color shift. They were two seperate carts so maybe processing attributed? I don't know but I will have to look into it.

Will, we use the Workprinter for reversal. For negative I send it to Cinelab (although I have not gotten my film back yet). I like the idea of 100D in 16mm. In fact, I have two rolls in my freeze that I have yet to try. At the moment I do not have a way to transfer 16mm so I would probably have to look at that as another cost.

Looking for a Scoopic would be nice but it's another cost that I can't afford right now. I need to start making some money instead of spending it.

Right now we offer 1 cart of E64T with every video package. We will also offer additional carts and various film stocks for additional prices. I just don't know exactly how I am going to price it out as of yet.

I have the issue of Super 8 Today that talks about weddings and it was very helpful. What I need to do is see how some of these artists put together the full length DVD incorporating super 8 because at the moment I am a little confused as to how I can make the best of it along with video.

-Scott
jody88

Post by jody88 »

MoonstruckProductions wrote:TI am a little confused as to how I can make the best of it along with video.

-Scott
Thats where the creativity kicks in - you can't go wrong where the possibilities are endless.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

MoonstruckProductions wrote:I need to start making some money instead of spending it.
Making money is overrated. :D

Seems like offering a a roll of Super 8 when you can transfer it yourself is a great competitive advantage for you at minimal cost.

The colorist I work with here in Dallas spent that last 5 weeks transfering 16mm and 8mm films for a wealthy family here in Dallas and said it was amazing to see films from the 30's still looking really good. Lots of weddings and events. Looked like half were shot by people they hired and half by the family themselves.

I bet you could put together an HD/Film package for very high-end clients and maybe market it at Country Clubs or churches in nice areas. Might get a nibble and that would be fun.
yolia

Post by yolia »

Moonstruck,
That footage is beautiful! I love this stuff! I think your critcisms are irrelevant. 64T is looking better and better. Shadows? Grain? Dust?–Phooey. It's super 8! As long as it's exposed correctly and well lit, it can never look bad! Thanks for sharing.
Best
Victor
avr

Post by avr »

Hi your footage looks amazing, yes a bit warm in some stuff but great.

64T is a grainy stock and reversal (poor latitude range) 64T is great for amateur and old style looks but if you want a better look you must go to 100D for reversal and visions negatives that looks very natural and high resolution.
I shoot weddings videos from 3 years ago and i´m thinking to offer some super8 stuff in videos but here in spain and principally in Galicia (northwest of Spain) is very difficult to find people that appreciate super 8 stuff, yes looks great but the people are a bit crazy for high resolution videos to see in large plasmas, for me is more important the feel than the high detail but...