WIN $500.00 WITH YOUR DIRECTING TALENT

Announcements of film related festivals, competitions, events, workshops, projects and more!
mpgruso

WIN $500.00 WITH YOUR DIRECTING TALENT

Post by mpgruso »

Are you out of ideas? Need a little cash and a project for your portfolio? Indy artist Michael Paul is looking for an up-and-coming director to create a music video for his new single, “Struggle (Symphonic).” Work from an existing storyboard/concept or create your own. Artist is available for participation.

There will be three winners - 1st place wins $500.00, 2nd $200.00 and 3rd $100.00 cash. Submissions must be received by June 1, 2008. You can get more information, download a copy of the existing storyboard and check out Michael Paul’s new single, “Struggle (Symphonic),” by going to http://MichaelPaulMusic.com
reflex

Post by reflex »

Are you talking about yourself in the third person? ;)

Perhaps it'd make more sense to try to find a director/dp by asking directly. I'm sure a few people have reels they can point you to.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
mpgruso

Post by mpgruso »

Hey!

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused by your comment. I am not a director. This post is in regard to a music video contest. I'm hoping to find directors who want to get involved.
mattias

Post by mattias »

who pays for the production? give me $2,000 and i'll shoot a great video, and never mind the contest. why would i want to spend my own money on spec in order to get a shot at $500? i might as well go to the track tomorrow.

/matt
reflex

Post by reflex »

mpgruso wrote:I'm a bit confused by your comment. I am not a director. This post is in regard to a music video contest. I'm hoping to find directors who want to get involved.
I understand that you're not a director. Matt identified one aspect of the problem: you're asking people to spend their own money to develop your project.

A second concern relates to credits and ownership. You're asking people to contribute their best ideas to you, but not providing any guarantee that they will receive payment or credit for their work.

Personally, I'd take Matt up on his offer. He shoots great videos. :)
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
mattias

Post by mattias »

hey, i'll settle for the $800 the guy is prepared to spend anyway, but then i'd shoot it on video. :-)

/matt
mpgruso

Music Video Contest

Post by mpgruso »

Matt!

Thanks for your input. You guys have some very good arguments. I agree that this contest is not for everyone. However, it is a perfect opportunity for young directors looking to gain real-world experience and exposure. In fact, 20 people have signed up so far.

For me, as an independent musical artist on a low budget, approaching the creation of a music video with a competition has lots to offer. One -- I'll have choices. Two -- the contest its self, will generate lots of exposure.

I hope this helps you understand why I choose to have this contest. I'm sure you guys are amazing at what you do but with this audio pirating epidemic (low CD sales), I cannot afford to put all my eggs in one basket.
mattias

Post by mattias »

point taken, sounds like a plan. i think you will get a better end result though if just give the $800 to somebody with a track record, as the budget for the video. some will even be able to squeeze a 35mm shoot into that, but as for myself i'm beyond that kind of hassle. ;-)

/matt
mpgruso

Music Video Contest

Post by mpgruso »

True.

Well...there is always the next music video. Do you have an online portfolio I could look at?
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

I was having similar feelings. I mean, some things I've shot with I've spent more than that just on insurance and camera rental. It is a good idea and great opportunity to try and make something fast, cheap and possibly video. I just would rather take that budget and make something but in a way this is like a bake off to see who cooks up the best video as opposed to having directors interview and send treatments.