Pro8/48.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Matthew Buick

Pro8/48.

Post by Matthew Buick »

Hello.

I've bought four rolls of Pro8/48 (EXR 100T) from Pro8mm. Can anyone tell me a little about this stock? Is it a good one? I supposed it would, beng EXR, but it is 100T, not 50D.

Best Regards.
Matthew Buick.
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Training to be a CBT Therapist. Deeply passionate about photography. Getting back into shooting Super 8.

My flickr profile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewbuick/
Will2

Re: Pro8/48.

Post by Will2 »

EXR 100T is a great looking stock, in 16mm I thought the skin tones worked better than the first Vision series.

The Vision2 500T Expression stock seems to give me results that remind me more of the EXR stocks... if you like that look check out 7229.

I'm guessing you got a deal on it since it hasn't been made by Kodak for a while. Hope Pro8mm's quality control (or lack thereof) doesn't leave you with problems.

Wasn't there another thread about this stock from Pro8mm? You might want to try a search.
mattias

Post by mattias »

the exr stocks do look better than the first generation vision, i agree, but they are also grainier so they may not be perfect for super 8.

the expression, while not as similar to exr 100 as you make it sound in my opinion, is my favorite stock but that's also a bit on the grainy side since it's 500 asa. the colors are simply amazing though. very fuji-like. :-)

/matt
Will2

Post by Will2 »

mattias wrote:the expression, while not as similar to exr 100 as you make it sound in my opinion, is my favorite stock but that's also a bit on the grainy side since it's 500 asa. the colors are simply amazing though. very fuji-like. :-)
I totally agree. Very Fuji. The Vision2 stocks almost look too good, not "film" enough for me.
cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

Will2 wrote:EXR 100T is a great looking stock, in 16mm I thought the skin tones worked better than the first Vision series.

The Vision2 500T Expression stock seems to give me results that remind me more of the EXR stocks... if you like that look check out 7229.

I'm guessing you got a deal on it since it hasn't been made by Kodak for a while. Hope Pro8mm's quality control (or lack thereof) doesn't leave you with problems.

Wasn't there another thread about this stock from Pro8mm? You might want to try a search.
That would be me. I also picked up some of this stuff last week, and I was wondering what kind of latitude it has. Kodak has info on the latitude of Vision 200T (which I also bought from Pro8mm), but nothing on EXR '48.

Apparently the film is past its due date, so they're letting it go for $20 with processing. They've got EXR '48, Vision 200T, Vision 320T, Vision2 HD '99 and Velvia 50. I'm going to pick up some of the 320T and HD this week.
"You made me choke a chicken on national television...twice in one day!"

--Kevin Smith, after killing a tic-tac-toe playing chicken in Kissimmee, FL, "Kevin Smith's Roadside Attractions"
cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

Will2 wrote:EXR 100T is a great looking stock, in 16mm I thought the skin tones worked better than the first Vision series.

That would be me. I also picked up some of this stuff last week, and I was wondering what kind of latitude it has. Kodak has info on the latitude of Vision 200T (which I also bought from Pro8mm), but nothing on EXR '48.

Apparently the film is past its due date, so they're letting it go for $20 with processing. They've got EXR '48, Vision 200T, Vision 320T, Vision2 HD '99 and Velvia 50. I'm going to pick up some of the 320T and HD this week.

I also noticed that the camera shop where I go also has quite a few rolls of EXR 50D in 16mm. I just wish I hadn't killed my K-3, because they had at least six or seven packs of it. Maybe I should get another one :)

--Kevin Smith, after killing a tic-tac-toe playing chicken in Kissimmee, FL, "Kevin Smith's Roadside Attractions"
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

Matthew Buick wrote:Hello.

I've bought four rolls of Pro8/48 (EXR 100T) from Pro8mm. Can anyone tell me a little about this stock? Is it a good one? I supposed it would, beng EXR, but it is 100T, not 50D.

Best Regards.
How about if you just shoot it and see. We otherwise might dislike it and you could very well love the look at the stock, it's pretty subjective in some ways. Technical wise, it is but still there's only one way for you to find out.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

As far as latitude, just assume basically the same as Vision 100T. If you're used to reversals you be blown away by the latitude available.

The only recent old stock that I would just stay away from would be the Vision 800T as it is about the ugliest and grainiest stock I've ever worked with.

If you're having it transfered on a Rank see if you can sit in on the session, that's the best way to really get to know the stock. If you're sending it away, speak with the actual colorist to hear their reaction; they can usually tell you plenty about the color, grain & latitude of a stock.
mattias

Post by mattias »

the vision 320t is also a low con stock similar to v2 expression. it's very nice. where did you find this offer? especially with the current exchange rate that's almost free.

/matt
reflex

Post by reflex »

mattias wrote:the vision 320t is also a low con stock similar to v2 expression. it's very nice. where did you find this offer? especially with the current exchange rate that's almost free.

/matt
It's quietly listed at the bottom of their Super 8 price list online. I'd buy some if I didn't already have a full freezer. Damn.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

Will2 wrote:As far as latitude, just assume basically the same as Vision 100T. If you're used to reversals you be blown away by the latitude available.

The only recent old stock that I would just stay away from would be the Vision 800T as it is about the ugliest and grainiest stock I've ever worked with.

If you're having it transfered on a Rank see if you can sit in on the session, that's the best way to really get to know the stock. If you're sending it away, speak with the actual colorist to hear their reaction; they can usually tell you plenty about the color, grain & latitude of a stock.
I never got a chance to shoot any of the 100-speed negative stocks before this, but I think I'll keep my tests to at least two stops over and three under. That seems to be pretty common for negative stocks.

I took another look at Promm's closeout listings and discovered that I was mistaken about something. Vision2 HD '99 and Velvia are $30, just like the other regular stocks. I thought that they would be lower; Vision2 HD was axed by Kodak themselves.

I would love to be able to sit in on a Rank transfer, but unfortunately they don't have any Super-8 Rank facilities in Chicago. I am planning to take a trip to L. A. sometime later this year, and I might just try that. I suspect that in order to avoid Pro8mm giving me fluorescent colors and overdone grain all over the place, I might have to.

As for the Vision 800T, about the most I remember of it was that the late Adrian Biddle shot some of "V For Vendetta" with it, and if it was used where I think it was (in the prison scenes), it wasn't particularly good stuff. I thought that I had read somewhere that either Portra 800 or Max 800 is a distant relative.

mattias

Post by mattias »

the problem with the 800 asa stocks has always been that they've been grainier than their sister 500 asa stock pushed one stop, or even two like kubrick did on ews. i haven't shot any of them myself so i don't know what particular look they produce that would make people chose them, though i guess the contrast and saturation would be much lower than a pushed 500 asa. donnie darko looked fantastic, but it was shot on anamorphic 35mm so the negative was a million times bigger than super 8.

/matt
Will2

Post by Will2 »

cubdukat wrote:I would love to be able to sit in on a Rank transfer, but unfortunately they don't have any Super-8 Rank facilities in Chicago.
With as much production as goes on there, I bet someone has one. I would try calling Filmworkers Club there and ask. There are many facilities that simply fly under the radar and cater more to the industry and don't have much of a web presence. That's true especially in LA as some of the higher end houses actually have Super 8 gates but don't really tell anyone for some reason.

Matt - Happy 8000th post.
Matthew Buick

Post by Matthew Buick »

Hi again everyone.

I'm saving the EXR for a few reels in the Spring/Summer, so I won't be shooting it for a while. Do you think I should just avoid Pro8mm's dubious processing and Telecine? I'd rather go through Todd-AO, they're not cheap, but they're good.
Matthew Buick.
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Training to be a CBT Therapist. Deeply passionate about photography. Getting back into shooting Super 8.

My flickr profile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewbuick/
cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

Will2 wrote:
cubdukat wrote:I would love to be able to sit in on a Rank transfer, but unfortunately they don't have any Super-8 Rank facilities in Chicago.
With as much production as goes on there, I bet someone has one. I would try calling Filmworkers Club there and ask. There are many facilities that simply fly under the radar and cater more to the industry and don't have much of a web presence. That's true especially in LA as some of the higher end houses actually have Super 8 gates but don't really tell anyone for some reason.

Matt - Happy 8000th post.
You know, I completely forgot about them. Thanks.