Canon Gate Question

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

onsuper8

Canon Gate Question

Post by onsuper8 »

In the downtown in the grotty British winter - I intend to modify my Canon 814XLS to "widescreen".

Rather than just hack the thing around willy nilly I intend to get a junk camera and modify the plastic gate from that, a donor if you will.

Does anyone know if the plastic gate on the 814XLS is the same as on any other models - this would widen my search for a suitable donor/victim camera.

Cheers in advance.
Matthew Buick

Post by Matthew Buick »

Probably the 514XL-S, and possibly the 310XL. I intend to perform the same operation. Please let me know of any victim cameras you find.
Matthew Buick.
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Training to be a CBT Therapist. Deeply passionate about photography. Getting back into shooting Super 8.

My flickr profile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewbuick/
onsuper8

Post by onsuper8 »

I intend to video the process and post it onsuper8.org - a kind of ER but with a Super 8 Camera!
Matthew Buick

Post by Matthew Buick »

Cool. What will you use to file down the gate?
Matthew Buick.
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Training to be a CBT Therapist. Deeply passionate about photography. Getting back into shooting Super 8.

My flickr profile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewbuick/
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

Beware the plastic 814XLS gate. Fragile, as I am sure you know.

As for donor cameras, I assumed others in the XLS series would be the same but I dont think they are. Mitch was looking for a replacement for a 1014XLS gate and I showed him my 514XLS and it was not the same. I showed him some others too (don't remember exactly what) and none were considered a suitable donor.

Rick
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Rick Palidwor wrote:Beware the plastic 814XLS gate. Fragile, as I am sure you know.

As for donor cameras, I assumed others in the XLS series would be the same but I dont think they are. Mitch was looking for a replacement for a 1014XLS gate and I showed him my 514XLS and it was not the same. I showed him some others too (don't remember exactly what) and none were considered a suitable donor.

Rick
Correct. Only 814xls/1014xls gates work in 814xls/1014xls cameras. Also, they are shimmed, and not always the same amount. Make sure you don't lose the shim(s) on removing the gate. They'll stick to either the camera or the gate, (or possibly both if there's more than one), and are hard to spot if you don't know they're there. Also they are extremely delicate.

You have to work really really really slow; I worked really really slow on super8france's 1014 gate, and it wasn't slow enough - I compromised the top of the aperture. If you do make a slip, don't try "fix" it; you'll only make it worse.

Mitch