Anyone Processed 64T Through Wal-Mart Recently?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

super8film

Anyone Processed 64T Through Wal-Mart Recently?

Post by super8film »

Hi all.

Just curious if anyone has processed E64 through Wal-Mart recently. A couple of months ago, I had a couple of E64 rolls processed through Wal-Mart (through Dwayne's) without any problem - it came back processed about a week and a half after I dropped it off, and I was on my way, paying only $4.88 per roll processing. A couple of weeks ago, I dropped off a few more carts at Wal-Mart, however when I called to check on the status today, I learned that they had been returned to the store, unprocessed. Inside the envelopes was that little white and red Wal-Mart notice with a check in the "Services not available" box.

On all of my envelopes, I wrote the exact same notice I've been writing for years on Wal-Mart S8 processing orders, mentioning in the special instructions box that S8 film is enclosed and to outlab to Dwayne's for E-6 processing (or K-14 processing when I was shooting Kodachrome). I haven't had any issues in the past, so I'm curious as to what might have happened this time around. Interestingly, there's additional handwriting on all of the envelopes where someone else wrote "E6".

Given this experience, does anyone know if Wal-Mart has, within the last couple of months, stopped processing 64T S8 through Dwayne's? As I mentioned, I did everything the way I've always done it in terms of dropping off the film and providing special instructions, and this is the first time I've had a problem.

Thanks!
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

I just dropped off a roll of 64T at walmart last week. I should be getting it back in a few days, I'll let you know how I made out. I called the Fuji number to check status the other day and it said the film had been received and was being processed. Maybe someone at Fuji made a mistake.
sophocle

Post by sophocle »

It all depends on the particular git that forwards it that day.

I would avoid the words "8mm" or "super 8" , etc. --this triggers the aformentioned git's spare synapse to fire it off into the "video transfer" bin--a service that they do not provide.
super8film

Post by super8film »

sophocle wrote:It all depends on the particular git that forwards it that day.
Well, evidently this is, in fact, the case. As a brief follow-up to my original message, I dropped off my E64 for processing again at Wal-Mart, and this time it returned processed...no problems. I guess the lesson is that if it is returned with the "Services not available" note, just try again :)
reflex

Post by reflex »

super8film wrote:
sophocle wrote:It all depends on the particular git that forwards it that day.
Well, evidently this is, in fact, the case. As a brief follow-up to my original message, I dropped off my E64 for processing again at Wal-Mart, and this time it returned processed...no problems. I guess the lesson is that if it is returned with the "Services not available" note, just try again :)
It makes more sense to send the film directly to Dwayne's, rather than trying to slip it through the back door at Wal-Mart. Dwayne's needs our support to ensure that they continue processing Kodachrome and offering low-cost E6 processing into the foreseeable future. Getting them to do cut-priced developing for Wal-Mart is not a great way to go about it. ;)

Man, I'm beginning to sound like Tim.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
etimh

Post by etimh »

reflex wrote:Man, I'm beginning to sound like Tim.
:D

Tim
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

I admit I am not fond of walmart, however, if their processing services keep my cost down, I will continue to use them. I use Super 8mm as a side hobby just for fun, I am trying my best to keep it cheap. My thoughts keep going back to super8man's website, he says:
Here's my basic credo: "KEEP SUPER 8mm CHEAP!" So with that saying in mind, I am keeping it simple, and creative.
super8film

Post by super8film »

reflex wrote:It makes more sense to send the film directly to Dwayne's, rather than trying to slip it through the back door at Wal-Mart. Dwayne's needs our support to ensure that they continue processing Kodachrome and offering low-cost E6 processing into the foreseeable future. Getting them to do cut-priced developing for Wal-Mart is not a great way to go about it. ;)
While I would agree that Dwayne's is an integral asset to S8 hobbyists and thus should be supported through our business, I have no qualms about going through Wal-Mart if it's a less expensive alternative for the same service I'd get by sending my film directly to Dwayne's. In addition to the lower processing cost, I also save by not having to shell out additional money for shipping, and since the turnaround service is relatively quick at 7-9 days, it's a no-brainer in my opinion. After all, it's not like Wal-Mart is putting a gun to Dwayne's and forcing them to offer discounted S8 processing. Dare I predict a sarcastic comment from Tim regarding that last statement? :)

I think it's fairly logical to conclude that discounted processing is something that Dwayne's has elected to offer through Wal-Mart, and I'm sure that if they were ever to deem it as an unprofitable offshoot for their business, they would promptly stop offering it. That said, if Dwayne's was to stop offering processing through Wal-Mart, I would undoubtedly send my film directly to them for processing. However, if a less expensive alternative is available, by their choice no less, I see no problem in taking advantage of it.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

Super8film writes:
I think it's fairly logical to conclude that discounted processing is something that Dwayne's has elected to offer through Wal-Mart, and I'm sure that if they were ever to deem it as an unprofitable offshoot for their business, they would promptly stop offering it. That said, if Dwayne's was to stop offering processing through Wal-Mart, I would undoubtedly send my film directly to them for processing. However, if a less expensive alternative is available, by their choice no less, I see no problem in taking advantage of it.

Well said, and it may help their business also. When people find out just how easy it is to have film processed this way, they will want to shoot more film. More filmshooter's means better profits, and that keeps Super 8 here longer, Duh.