Telecine in HD?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mattias

Post by mattias »

Boehmi wrote:Anyway, I really don´t mind the 16:9 aspect ratio. Of course it is a waste of resolution, but we plan to use the space for information on the captured film (date, place, who´s in it).
wow, that's easily the worst idea i've heard in many years, the last came from across the pond and had the word iraq in it. :-)

/matt
Will2

Post by Will2 »

One of the biggest problems as we move to HD is poor focusing. It shows up more in HD.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

mattias wrote:
Boehmi wrote:Anyway, I really don´t mind the 16:9 aspect ratio. Of course it is a waste of resolution, but we plan to use the space for information on the captured film (date, place, who´s in it).
wow, that's easily the worst idea i've heard in many years, the last came from across the pond and had the word iraq in it. :-)

/matt
Please let's not get started talking about all the bad ideas in the world.

Europe has had it's share, although I don't think Sweeden has had any bad ones. Seems like a nice country.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Another "I don't get it"-product:
It claims to shoot at 1920 × 1080 pixels = 2025k pixels.
Nevertheless the same device claims to have only 520K effective pixels!?
So it's real resolution is only a little better than a PAL DV-camcorder with 720 × 576 pixels = 405k pixels?
This space was left intenionally blank.
Chinese Belle

Post by Chinese Belle »

jpolzfuss wrote:
Another "I don't get it"-product:
It claims to shoot at 1920 × 1080 pixels = 2025k pixels.
Nevertheless the same device claims to have only 520K effective pixels!?
So it's real resolution is only a little better than a PAL DV-camcorder with 720 × 576 pixels = 405k pixels?
That is per sensor and you have to consider the likeliness of employment pixel shift technology. While not full 1080i, it is not quite SD either. Maybe Mattias will do the math.
:)
mattias

Post by mattias »

Will2 wrote:Please let's not get started talking about all the bad ideas in the world.
yeah, i realized that right after posting. please disregard the political and potentially offensive nature of that comparison. i was just horrified by the thought of home movies with descriptive text on the sides.

/matt
mattias

Post by mattias »

Chinese Belle wrote:Maybe Mattias will do the math.
absolutely. :-) the luma information is derived from all three sensors, which if they are "pixel shifted" means you do get hd resolution, while the color will only be sd, but it always is anyway because of the 4:2:0 subsampling. a full res single chip sensor only has one third of r, g, and b too, so it's the same thing.

(3x520 is only 1560 of course, so i guess it captures 1440x1080 and scales it up, that's a common way of doing it)

/matt
beaunizo

Post by beaunizo »

Will2 wrote: Europe has had it's share, although I don't think Sweeden has had any bad ones. Seems like a nice country.
Not to high-jack the thread.

Ask the neighbours :) Or the North-Sea or Baltic peoples.

A strange modern habit to judge ancient history by modern standards. Or to justify current bad judgement by blaming others for bad acts in the long past which are bad by modern standards but weren't then.

Also strange is to name Europe as one entity where most of the victims of bad ideas lived/died at the hand of members from the same Europe. From a long distance Europe may seem one.

Unless you mean the discovery and exploration of the Americas as one of the bad ideas :)

But seen from the moon we on earth are all the same length. (=quote - multatuli - "Van de maan af gezien zijn we allemaal even groot." )
Boehmi

Post by Boehmi »

VideoFred wrote:
Inside are two pieces of foam and two round pieces of Vileda window cloths. I fill it with isopropanol. Works like a charm...

Fred.
Nice machine, Fred! You seem to be the man for elegantly simple solutions.

I guess the Vileda cloth and not the foam is wiping the film? And the isopropanol is not ruining the film´s surface? I have seen too many once clear pieces of plastic turned opaque by acetone, so I am a bit paranoid about solvents on plastic.
Does the isopropanol have to evaporate before the film enters the gate, or should it still be wet to fill up the scratches? Because then I think you need a bowl under the projector to collect the waste isopropanol. :)
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

Boehmi wrote: I guess the Vileda cloth and not the foam is wiping the film?¨
Indeed....
And the isopropanol is not ruining the film´s surface?
Absolutely not!
Does the isopropanol have to evaporate before the film enters the gate, or should it still be wet to fill up the scratches?
It must we wet of cource. Otherwise we have no wetgate :)
It evaporates before it arrives on the wind up reel.

Fred.
my website:
http://www.super-8.be

about film transfering:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_k0IKckACujwT_fZHN6jlg