remember all those BAD CARTRIDGES I had?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Justin Lovell

remember all those BAD CARTRIDGES I had?

Post by Justin Lovell »

I had about 8 neg cartridges (mix of 7217 and 7218).

I've left them on my bookshelf since the beginning of the summer when they all jammed on me on a job. I just grabbed them as I was going to return them to Kodak, and figured what the heck, I'll try them again.

So I wound all the cartridges up by hand to tighten the tension inside the cartridges... and voila... all 8 of them seem to be working now.

Maybe something to do with moisture/lubrication... I don't have a clue.
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16/35mm - 2k.5k.HDR.film transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com
filmamigo

Post by filmamigo »

Do you have any process/ritual when loading a new cartridge?

At York U, they taught us to always firmly tap the edge of the cartidge against your hand (like a cigarette box) to loosen stuck emulsion and then wind by hand to tighten any slack. We were warned that failure to do so would result in jamming...

Once or twice over the years I've had a jam, and it always frees up after removing the cartidge, tapping firmly and winding.
David W Scott
Producer / Director
"The Behaviour of Houses"
http://www.behaviourofhouses.com
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

that's my usual routine. dunno why I've had so many issues.

Maybe storage in fridge isn't a good idea for the lubrication. I've had the best results from cartridges that have not been put into the fridge, or ones that have been sitting out in room temperature for a long time.
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16/35mm - 2k.5k.HDR.film transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com
filmamigo

Post by filmamigo »

That's an interesting thought. Last cartridge I had that jammed was also stored in the fridge. I wonder if anyone else can correlate those two things?
David W Scott
Producer / Director
"The Behaviour of Houses"
http://www.behaviourofhouses.com
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

Yes, I had the same thing happen to me. The last 2 carts jammed several times and even ran slower, both were stored in the fridge for a week or longer. I also banged both carts seemed to help some. I think the next 64T cart I purchase, I will just have to leave it on the table.
Rollef

Post by Rollef »

Recently (within the last year or so) I have experienced E64 jamming comming from the fridge.
Once was in winter-time so the cartridge was cold all the time and second time was in summer time, but I took the cartridge out just before I was going to shoot.

There seems to be some truth in letting the cartridge settle in room temperature for some time (days) before you use it.

K.
paul

Post by paul »

I didn't have jams. But the films which were stored in the freezer, did have a lot of jitter. It is the first time I had that problem. I wonder if it is because of that.

Paul
metaT8

Post by metaT8 »

filmamigo wrote:... wind by hand to tighten any slack..
Which direction to you wind the cart?

BTW - I've had quite a few problems with 64T jitter and jamming. I've always suspected the cold temperature might have something to do with it. Recently I've been trying to give the film 24 hrs to get back to room temp but still had a problem with one of the carts.

m