After 30 years it's about time do some filmshooting

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Carlos 8mm

Post by Carlos 8mm »

ALAN wrote:Fred, re. the 64T filtration: Most would recommend the 85B filter -- I found it too orange (Kodak wratten/gellatin). Even filming in open shade it looked much too warm. I'm waiting for a test with the internal 85 filter to return.

Of course it could have been a processing error, who knows? As for myself, I will never waste another cent on 64T, so grainy it makes me sick in the stomach to watch

Regards, alan
Are you sure? I´ve obtained good results whith external Marumi / Hoya 85B filters. Maybe you´re using the wrong filter or an external 85B in addition the built-in 85 filter. Check your camera.
Carlos.
ALAN

Post by ALAN »

Ridiculous!

I tried adding the internal 85 filter to the 85B just in case it (watten 85B) wasn't warm enough for shade -- looked like the inside of a tomato! The 85B alone just looked like an Iraqi sandstorm. :?
Angus

Post by Angus »

I've tried an 85B and the internal 85 and to be honest I prefer the internal filter....but then I tend to prefer a slightly cooler look, certainly over an over-warm look.

I also think it is possible that processing in several labs has been tweaked to take note of the fact that many people use 85's.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Plastik

Post by Plastik »

I always use my external 85B filter and the colours are amazing. There is no colour cast at all.

E64T might be a little grainy but it has amazing punch.
There should be no ‘warm’ cast with the 85B, I’ve always got amazing results.
Ertugrul Togacay
Plastik

Post by Plastik »

I forgot to mention I get my film processed at Nonalab in Melbourne. Richard does an amazing job.
Ertugrul Togacay
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

Well....
I have ordered the cartridges here:
http://www.super8.nl/english/e_index.htm

Frank is doing the processing 'in the house', too.
For my first test I will just use the internal filter.
We will see how it comes out.....

Fred.
my website:
http://www.super-8.be

about film transfering:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_k0IKckACujwT_fZHN6jlg
Angus

Post by Angus »

Plastik wrote:I always use my external 85B filter and the colours are amazing. There is no colour cast at all.

E64T might be a little grainy but it has amazing punch.
There should be no ‘warm’ cast with the 85B, I’ve always got amazing results.
It may just be my personal preferance for a more cool look.

For example I could never stand "Kodak Gold" colour print film, absolutely refuse to use it because of the un-lifelike warm colours.

The thing is, when I telecine my films seem to look too cold...but then I prefer to project :)
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)