Newbie + first camera

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

nglester

Post by nglester »

:o oh.. i c.. Electronic Release cable (*written down) :wink: Thanks

BTW.. my first films have just arrived too :D , now i just need a good reason to open the first pack.
nglester

Post by nglester »

:? Is a home fridge a good place to store my super8 Cartridges? Or it's ok to just leave them in my closet?

I read through the Kodak.com/go/motion site, but don't quite understand the humidity level and the meaning of active use...
Please help
Thanks
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

Depends on how long you intend to store them before you use them. If you keep them in the fridge or freezer they'll last for years without significant change. But it's best just to shoot it when you have it and get more when the need arises (so says someone with too much film in his freezer).
Robert Hughes
nglester

Post by nglester »

audadvnc wrote:Depends on how long you intend to store them before you use them. If you keep them in the fridge or freezer they'll last for years without significant change. But it's best just to shoot it when you have it and get more when the need arises (so says someone with too much film in his freezer).
Maybe just a couple of months, not years. I have only bought a couple of boxes to start with and it's getting pretty hot these couple of days.
I have already put them into those food-storage boxes and into the vegetable section. (Just right next to the salads :lol: :lol: )

Thank you audavnc
Angus

Post by Angus »

A couple of months and you're unlikely to notice any problems even if the films are kept inside a hot car.

Personally with the temperate British climate I tend to put film in the bedroom as we keep it cool with a fan or even air-con in really hot weather. If I have reason to believe film (still film too) won't be used for over a year then it goes in the freezer...sometimes for 3-5 years.

Generally film is damaged by three factors.

1) Heat. Film is basically chemicals, and if you took notice in your school chemistry lessons you know that chemical reactions speed up with increased temperature. We're still talking months here before anything significant happens, but film left "on a shelf" for 10 years will often look very funky when developed regardless of when it was exposed. You can slow the deterioration lots by putting in the fridge, or almost stop it by freezing. Just remember to allow at least an hour to defrost. Films in the freezer often last over a decade.

2) Humidity. Film doesn't like moisture so if you live in a humid climate your films will last less long. The UK has moderate humidity most of the time so it's a minor problem. When I lived in the northwest USA the humidity was very low, however in Arkansas for example its very high. Not a whole lot you can do unless you have air-con or climate control, and in most high humidity areas people generally have air-con at least.

3) Cosmic rays/radiation. Natural radiation from rocks and the sun will slowly fog your films over the years. There is pretty much nothing you can do about this short of keeping them in lead containers. The good news is that you won't notice on film that has been around less than 10 years. If you find 10+ year old film you'll find effects of radiation known as "age fogging"...a 100ASA film might only have a sensitivty of around 50ASA, colours aren't as vibrant as they should be, contrast is reduced. But remember under around 10 years, this effect is negligable.

HTH!
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
nglester

Post by nglester »

:o Oh.. 10 years. Still a lot of times
Thanks Angus