nesting audio and subtitles in FCP?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

steve hyde

nesting audio and subtitles in FCP?

Post by steve hyde »

...has anyone had any success nesting subtitles and audio in FCP? I want to keep my subtitles joined with the related audio segment. Will a nested sequence maintain the V2 (transparency) track?

I would just try it, but I'm not at the editing computer at the moment.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
mattias

Post by mattias »

no, i don't think it will work. you will get the background of the nest, i.e. black. i'm not sure what you're trying to achieve though. i'd just link them together and "mark in sync". a workaround would be to use a green (for example) background in the nest and then use a keyer rather than the alpha channel.

/matt
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

mattias wrote:no, i don't think it will work. you will get the background of the nest, i.e. black. i'm not sure what you're trying to achieve though. i'd just link them together and "mark in sync". a workaround would be to use a green (for example) background in the nest and then use a keyer rather than the alpha channel.

/matt
What steps should I take to "mark in sync"? I have been using markers on the time line as place holders for the subtitles and that helps keep things organized, but sometimes I want to move the subtitles and V.O around and it would be nice if it were nested...

Thanks,

Steve
Blin

Post by Blin »

Sorry? Why won't it work? I have FCP 5.1.4 open right now and it works fine. Just highlight the audio track and the text track and select "Nest" from under the sequence menu.
mattias

Post by mattias »

Just highlight the audio track and the text track and select "Nest"
um, that's how to create a nest. i'm sure he knew that one already. ;-) the problems is when you put this over other video transparency is preserved? if so i stand corrected. i've had problems with similar things before. i don't have 5.1 though, maybe they've fixed it.

i still think just linking them is eaiser and better. select the audio and the subtitle, do "link", then select "mark in sync" to get rid of the red out of sync markers.

/matt
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

What's nesting? It sounds interesting. I'm lost : (
mattias

Post by mattias »

it's using sequences as clips. either just drop a sequence on another, or select a bunch of clips on the timeline and select nest. very powerful stuff, and necessary for applying effects to composites or entire tracks since unlike avid and after effects fcp doesn't have fx tracks.

/matt
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...thanks for the input. I'm going a few different things today. One of these days we should start a "How do you build your projects in FCP?" thread.
There are so many ways to approach a project and some are more efficient than others. We develop working habits early and then they become cemented in our consciousness. (hey there is a hegemony to non-linear editing too... hmmmm) anyway.. I would love to have more access to Matt's expertise on FCP. I'm mostly lost in the dark with an occasional discovery or two..

Steve