First time 8mm with e64t and canon 518

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

greg_8mm

First time 8mm with e64t and canon 518

Post by greg_8mm »

Hi all,

I recently got my hands on an 8mm camera and I'm gonna start using it now. First of all, i'm experienced in video, but I've never shot film before and have totally no clue at all about it. I've read a lot about super 8mm on the internet, but I can't seem to find an answer to my questions.

The camera that I've got at the moment is a Canon auto zoom 518sv. I've bought 4 Kodak Ektachrome 64t cartridges hoping they're the right choice. I know my camera can expose the film properly, but do I need to do anything in order to get it properly exposed? As in using any filters or stuff? I've heard things about 85b filters and stuff that I don't know anything about..

And what about exposing the film correctly? How do you do that? Just trust the internal light meter and shoot it in automatic mode?

I'm leaving on a surftrip to Panama and Costa Rica for the next two months, and I was hoping to shoot some 8mm over there. As you probably guessed I'm planning to shoot almost everything outdoors, and I've heard things about the Ektachrome 64t being balanced for indoors or something?

I know most of the questions will sound stupid to all of you 'experienced' film guru's, this is my first time shooting film but I'm willing to learn, so I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks.
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

Congratulations on a getting a great camera to start with. The 518SV is an excellent camera and will indeed auto expose E64T correctly. It's a solid camera with a good lens. I recently shot a short travel film in Victoria BC w/ my 518 all outdoors and everything came out perfect. The built in filter is an 85A and is off by 200k in tempurature as an 85B is the correct filter for E64T but the difference is negligable and will give your films a bit warmer (slightly more blue) Look. In bright daylight especially, as I suspect you will be in, this works in your favor. Just be sure to remove the filter key from the top of the camera if in place. (Mine is missing so not an issue outdoors.) It's a good idea to get a UV filter to put on the lens to protect it and make your pictures a bit sharper. Next you should consider doing a Super Duper 8 (Max 8, Super 8 Wide) conversion by filing open the gate to allow exposure to the edge of the film where sound stripe would have gone giving you widescreen 1.85.1 Mitch Perkins here on the board can do it for you cheaply if your not feeling brave enough to remove your camera's gate and take a file to it.
Best of luck and enjoy! :D
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

Double post.
Last edited by Blue Audio Visual on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Audio Visual

Triple post!
Last edited by Blue Audio Visual on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Audio Visual

James E wrote:The built in filter is an 85A and is off by 200k in tempurature as an 85B is the correct filter for E64T but the difference is negligable and will give your films a bit warmer (slightly more blue) Look.
Lower (Red) colour temperatures are generally referred to as being warmer than higher (Blue).
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

All right! The camera came with a UV filter so I'm good to go then! At the moment there's no filter cancellation key fitted in the slot at the top of the camera, so I guess that's OK for outdoors? I'm so excited! Can't wait to use it!

I was reading the info on the package of the Ektachrome 64t last night, and it said: protect from heat and more importantly, X-RAYS. How to deal with that since the bagagge is gonna have to go thru all the x-ray machines at the airports?

Anyways, many thanks already for your help![/b]
Rollef

Post by Rollef »

Hi greg_8mm, welcome to the forum.

The heat thing is obvious. Do not leave any kind of photograhical film in your car on a hot day etc. That does not mean it will be destroyed comletely but it may be.

If you want to be sure about the x-ray on airports. Have it hand inspected. Although your film will most likely be ok anyway x.rayed or not.

BTW, if you search the forum for x-ray I know you'll find other threads about it.

I see you are going on a surfing trip?.
You should really look for a Eumig Nautica. With it you can dive, and get some cool action shoots from the water.
Do it basic and simple I say. Just throw in a cartridge of E64T and see if you like the result.
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

Blue Audio Visual wrote:
James E wrote:The built in filter is an 85A and is off by 200k in tempurature as an 85B is the correct filter for E64T but the difference is negligable and will give your films a bit warmer (slightly more blue) Look.
Lower (Red) colour temperatures are generally referred to as being warmer than higher (Blue).
Bass ackwards again..... Cooler look..... Which in bright daylight w/ E64T still works in your favor.... :P
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

The internal 85 leaves a colder look, not bad. External 85B (orange filter, not just UV) gives a more saturated look.
100D and Vision 3 please
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

Thanks again guys! I'm just gonna go for the 'cooler' look and keep things simple.. Since it's my first time 8mm I'm also taking my video camera with me. I plan to use both the 8mm footage and the video footage for the final movie. I already have a water housing for my video camera, so I'm not gonna try make things even more complicated by taking the 8mm camera into the water!! I'm just hoping to make some nice shots with it, and learn about shooting film..