Halogenuros - podcast teaser

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Plastik

Re: Halogenuros - podcast teaser

Post by Plastik »

marc wrote:The loss in revenue to Kodak.....hmmm......certain things about Kodak and Super 8 are starting to add up :roll: Maybe they can slip this one in at the Denver Film Festival. :wink:
For sure...
Ertugrul Togacay
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Scotness wrote:I noticed your 2k transfer and 10bit colour was done in NZ - which is good news for all us Australians - somewhere so close, and I don't think there's anywhere here that can do that (correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

BTW the Pro 8 classic camera is their rebadged Beaulieu 4008 isn't it? Is there any significant chages to the camera that they make?

What was it like using the 35mm lenses? I assume you chose them because of their speed and sharpness but did they feel like you were permanently zoomed in? Did it make it difficult doing any close up shots?

Scot
Hello Scot,
..sorry for the delay in answering this...

yah you're right, the super-8 upgrade on that Spirit Datacine machine in Park Road Post, Miramar, Wellington, New Zealand, is still may be the only option to get 2K data and HDCam SR output from super-8 film media in the Asia-Pacific region...

the people in New Zealand ... and at Park Road Post and Weta Digital were really cool and nice people.... they always considered this research project as something professional (and supported it as much as they could), even if it was originated on super-8, this is the feeling I have from Park Road Post and WETA Digital, ... sincerely a great experience.

Concerning the camera, as you mention, it is an upgraded french Beaulieu 4008 film-camera, the "upgrade" was done at Pro8mm in California.
They say they exceed original Beaulieu specifications , and they also simplify the external design. They also have a special battery for that camera.
I did solicit that the camera to be shipped to Chile, with a Crystal Sync board in order to get precise 24 fps, as I was planning (and we did) a "direct-sound" sync verification sequence.

Concerning lens, you are right all the lenses intended for 35mm formats did perfom as tele-lens...
I had problems with focus in some footage (at least aprox. may be 20% of "non useful" footage) due to non-colimated lenses...
but... quality is there, a 85mm Carl Zeiss lens intended originaly for 35mm photo ("135 lenses") and fitted on that Pro8 camera is something really lovely to see... then when we switched to high speed lens from Carl Zeiss intended for Super-35mm motion-picture format, the image (in the viewfinder, and on the processed and scanned negative) was still sharper .... and with the Ultra Prime lens (for Super 35mm), sincereley it was impressive to see the resolution that could be achieved....

Concerning close-up it worked quite well with the 85mm photo-lens.
Here an image of the project at lens stop T 2.8

http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/gal ... LT_FONDART

if you have another question let me know, concerning DVD, sometime late this year this should be made (and hopefully HD-DVD or so) but anyway the idea is to have this research short-feature for free download later this year.

Daniel
Daniel

halogenuros screening (35mm)

Post by Daniel »

good morning!

so, just to write here, if this can be interesting to someone, that "Halogenuros" technical research short-feature will be screened from
June 26th to July 1st 2007 at 19:30
at Cineteca (centro cultural Palacio La Moneda) in downtown Santiago de Chile.

The 9 minutes short-film will be screened on 35mm, but only with analog optical Dolby SR sound reproduction , as the film archive (Cineteca) do not have Dolby Digital reproduction system.

The entry ticket is around 1000 chilean pesos (1 pound, 1,5 euro, 2 usd) and the short film will be screened prior to a film.

At the moment these are the only secured screenings in 35mm for next months. The short was not accepted on two major film festival (one paralel section at Cannes, and Shanghai film festival) may be due to the research / technical type of the film. Next festival intent might be at Rhode Island as they accept all kind of short film, and they project 35mm also. To get the film on a festival might help to get a wider distribution in 35mm, that's the primary interest I have in trying to get the film on a festival. At the same time I do not have the ressources to apply to all festivals, but I am still optimist!

I am sorry for the delay on the web-site http://www.filmhalogenuros.cl , as I know the site had around 390 "visits" up to now, with a complete lack of information there, but the site should really be up, by the end of june.

regards and take care,
Daniel
Daniel

festivals

Post by Daniel »

Hola,

the short feature was not accepted at Rhode Island film festival, but if possible I will apply to other film festivals, in order that the short feature could be seen in 35mm somewhere in an foreign international festival.

the good news is that the short feature was finally accepted on a festival, here in Chile. the short will be screened at Valdivia Film Festival. Valdivia is a southern city in Chile. The festival is now on its 14th edition.

Halogenuros will be screened on 35mm , out of competition category called "alternative visions", at Lord Cochrane theater, on October 9th at noon. The short feature will not be screened with Dolby Digital sound reproduction due to technical limitations of the theatre, so the Dolby SR analog tracks will be read instead.

One day before, monday October 8th, a free short workshop concerning Halogenuros workflow (from super 8 to 35mm) will be held at Hotel Villa del Rio ("salon los pioneros" place).

some links :

http://www.ficv.cl/f14/index.php?option ... Itemid=413

http://www.ficv.cl/f14/index.php?option ... Itemid=433

Then in late October, the short feature will be projected at Viña del Mar international film festival, on the 19th edition of this festival. Viña del Mar is a city located near Santiago. The projection will be on 35mm and with Dolby Digital sound. The short feature is presented out of competition.
Once I get the confirmed date of the Viña del Mar projection I will post it here.

So that's quite cool, because the short feature is finally reaching festivals.

regards,
Daniel Henríquez-Ilic
mattias

Post by mattias »

sorry if i'm sounding like an asshole, but what exactly is a short feature? i always thought a feature was long format by definition, the opposite of a short. you're not alone using the word the way you do, so maybe i've just missed something, it happens. ;-)

/matt
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

maybe i've just missed something, it happens. ;-)

may be or may be it is related that my english level is not the best but... i beleive having read that terminology somewhere else.

in spanish we say "largometraje" for a feature and "cortometraje" for a short film, and in french as you know, the words are "long métrage" and "court métrage" ... may be in english a more precise terminology instead of a short feature , could be simply "short film".

bye bye