ISDTV standard (Brasil + Japan)

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Daniel

ISDTV standard (Brasil + Japan)

Post by Daniel »

Hello,

Here are the prelimary specifications of ISDTV standard from Brasil.
This digital broadcasting standard is part of "ISDB-T International" Brasil/Japan joint-venture.

H.264 is the video codec for HDTV, SDTV, "one-seg" (CIF, QVGA, SQCIF)

Best Regards,
DHI

ISDTV (Integrated Services for Digital Television)

Para o Serviço Fixo
Video:
–Standard: Rec. ITU-T H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC)
–HP@L4.0
–Formats: 480, 720, 1080
–Frame Rate: 25, 30, 50 e 60Hz
Audio:
–Standard: ISO/IEC 14496-3 (MPEG-4 AAC)
–AAC@L4 e HE-AAC@L4
–High Efficiency Tool: SBR
–Channels: 5.1 channels (without SBR) or stereo (with SBR)
–Sampling Rate: up to 48kHz
–Descriptor MPEG: 0×2E

Para o Serviço Móvel:
Video:
–Standard: Rec. ITU-T H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC)
–BP@L1.3
–Formats: QVGA(4:3 and 16:9), SQCIF(4:3 and 16:9) and CIF
–Frame Rate: 25, 30, 50 e 60Hz
Audio:
–Standard: ISO/IEC 14496-3 (MPEG-4 AAC)
–HE-AAC@L3
–High Efficiency Tool: SBR+PS
–Channels: 2
–Sampling Rate: up to 48kHz
–Descriptor MPEG: 0×2D
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

It seems that ISDTV rather means :

International System for Digital Television

ISDTV RF transmissión will begin firstly in Sao Paulo, Brasil (December 2007) for fixed, non-fixed and portable receptor.

HDTV bit rate is likely to be 15 Mbps. Total bit rate is slightly more than 23 Mbps.

That standard seems to be as of today the state-of-the-art for digital tv. However I don't have info about DMB-T/H from China or DVB-T2 from Europe Union.

But in comparison to ISDB-T from Japan, DVB-T/H from Europe Union or ATSC from the USA, I would say ISDTV is in theory much better. Congratulations to Brasil and Japan "technical research crews" for this technological achievement !
ecebase99

Post by ecebase99 »

DMB-T/H is based zero-padding OFDM and replace the zero-padding by PN sequence. DVB-T2 is in the stage of call for proposals. I think you can get the document if you subscribe the memship. Since you mentioned that ISDTV is better than DVB-T, ATSC and ISDB-T, I wonder if you have more information about the difference between ISDTV modulation and ISDB-T modulation. I read some articles mentioning that ISDTV has some innovation over ISDB-T. But I couldn't get more information. BTW, I have overview paper on DMB-T/H. If you are interesting, I can forward you a copy.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Hello,

I do have new information that says that ISDTV from Brasil will be now simply called ISDB-TBR

The main advantage of ISDB-TR over ISDB-T is that whilst retaining structure, multiplex and transmission/modulation of ISDB-T, it do use H.264 compression for video, as native video-codec, that allows multi-casting of HDTV (2 x 1080i for example on a single 6 MHz bandwith) and a great quality of image.

However ISDB-T from Japan, have another member that is called "ISDB-Tsb" that allows transmission of as little of "1 segment" using aprox. 430 kHz of bandwith, o "3 segments" instead of the 12+1 segments structure of original ISDB-T . This is not really implemented in Japan, but is really interesting for multimedia, digital radio etc.

I would be happy if you could send your e-mail (through a PM) to solicit you that info about DMB-T/H from China. Thanks.
Daniel
BK

Post by BK »

What does this ISDTV standard in Brazil mean for us filmmakers? :roll:

Bill
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

...i think it is an off-topic subject....
however some countries have not choosen their digital broadcasting standard for tv (and other services that can be handled), so some info about that interesting standard from Brasil + Japan, could be interesting for other members in this forum, and at the same time I was looking for more info on other standards too!
regards,
Daniel
ecebase99

Post by ecebase99 »

The paper I have gives DMB-T/H performance on Brazil A/B/C/D channel. I guess you have the report of Brazil test, which reports the performance on Brazil A/B/C/D channel. I pm'ed my email to you.