Walmart now accepts 64T and Kodachrome S8.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

etimh

Post by etimh »

Nice post Blue Audio Visual. Thanks. Interesting things to think about.

Take care.

Tim
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Blue Audio Visual wrote: Oh for the sweet release that idiocy would bring us all.
Yes, well, as they say, the only sane reaction to an insane environment is insanity.

Anybody wanna buy some fingers? Ya can't get *those* at Walmart!

Mitch
Angus

Post by Angus »

Blue Audio Visual wrote: I must admit I've never seen one here in London. Then again if I lived in Kensington & Chelsea rather than in Hackney I might just stand a chance.

There's a Hummer dealer near Park Lane I think...maybe on Park Lane...and I've seen at least one garish yellow stretched Hummer in central London
:roll:

Angus (who peels his own potatoes)
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
super8film

Post by super8film »

Just thought I'd mention that I dropped off a roll of 64T at Wal-Mart about 9 days ago and picked it up this afternoon. As with the K40 processing, the cost is only $4.88 / roll. It's great to know that inexpensive processing is once again available through Wal-Mart / Dwayne's, especially for the new E64 film stock.

I just finished viewing the roll, and as this was my first roll of 64T, I must say that I'm quite impressed. In my opinion, the grain appeared to be minimal, and colors looked nice and saturated. I definitely hope to shoot more 64T in the coming spring and summer months, and the availability of inexpensive processing is already making me feel much more inclined and motivated to do so.

I can't really figure out why people are so against using Wal-Mart for S8 processing, as in my opinion, the availability of cheap, relatively fast 64T processing through Wal-Mart is an excellent asset to S8 filmmakers!
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

super8film wrote:

I can't really figure out why people are so against using Wal-Mart for S8 processing, as in my opinion, the availability of cheap, relatively fast 64T processing through Wal-Mart is an excellent asset to S8 filmmakers!
True enough. And yeah, the 64T is great. I've found that if you just get enough light on it, grain is not an issue.

Mitch
thebigidea

Post by thebigidea »

I've had a lot of fun with the 64t stock - since we couldn't get enough k40 via ebay to deal with an endless HK film pastiche feature, and needed the cheapest solution possible to finish it on film - I got a mess of the 64t from kodak and am really happy with the look... indoors with the right lighting and gels its perfect for what I need. Outdoors a bit futzier but then again i try to shoot mostly on good sunny days, where it comes out a lot more acceptable... the grain works for me... when underexposed or not lit enough it can get nasty but even that's fine for a late 70s-80s look.

I just dumped a mess of it at the Walmart since I can't afford anything else right now after a big car accident and the insurance is taking ages... 14-15 bucks for a cart and processing lets me actually shoot this thing rather than just talking about it for a year.

now... anybody know the most economical way to process the 100d in the US? the dwayne's rep said they wouldn't take it via walmart even though its e-6 as well.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I wonder if Target will process 64T? They had a similar deal with Kodak for processing that actually went to Dwaynes as well. I'll check and report back.
etimh

Post by etimh »

super8film wrote:I can't really figure out why people are so against using Wal-Mart for S8 processing, as in my opinion, the availability of cheap, relatively fast 64T processing through Wal-Mart is an excellent asset to S8 filmmakers!
It has nothing to do with it being an "asset" to the process of S8 filmmaking or not...

It has to do with making ethical choices about who and who not to support with your money.

Educate yourself about walmart and you might just "figure it out."

Tim
Will2

Post by Will2 »

etimh wrote:It has nothing to do with it being an "asset" to the process of S8 filmmaking or not...

It has to do with making ethical choices about who and who not to support with your money.

Educate yourself about walmart and you might just "figure it out."

Tim
Is Target bad too? I want to make sure I'm politcally correct...
etimh

Post by etimh »

Will2 wrote:Is Target bad too?
Here's a pretty good article comparing the two:

http://www.reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart ... better.php

Better on some things, similar in most regards.

Tim
super8film

Post by super8film »

etimh wrote:Educate yourself about walmart and you might just "figure it out."
Allright...well, in an attempt to "educate myself", I clicked on the "Walmart Intervention Project" link in Tim's signature, thinking that it might bring up a page discussing his points of view on the issue. Has anyone else clicked on this link?

Tim, perhaps you could explain how the practice of purposefully misplacing items at a Wal-Mart store (and undoubtedly creating more work for the store attendants who will have to clean up your mess) is supposed to make others sympathetic to your cause. I'm all for a civilized discussion of the issues at hand, and if one chooses to boycott Wal-Mart for any reason, that's fine. However, attempting to make a statement by intentionally misplacing items in the store and creating even more work for the employees is, in my opinion, very unfortunate (for the employees) and incredibly juvenile. Do you really think that these kind of foolish antics will sway people to your mindset regarding Wal-Mart? Good luck with that...
etimh

Post by etimh »

super8film wrote:
etimh wrote:Educate yourself about walmart and you might just "figure it out."
Allright...well, in an attempt to "educate myself...
Hahaha...obviously you don't know me nor my lengthy and extensive attempts here to school people on the deeply troubling problems with walmart.

If you don't get the "art" of the walmart intervention actions...well, I'm not sure I can convince you of either their interest or impact. Maybe look into the history of performance and interventionist art for some context on actions like this. Regardless, I will leave judgment about its particular relevance to the debate to everyone's own discretion.

However, if you would like some genuinely important material on the subject you can either search the archives where I've posted lengthy statements and many resources about the walmart issue. I can also send you material or links or point you in the right direction if you are genuinely interested.

Tim

Walmart Intervention Project:

Offering an illogic to the over-sensibility of Wal-Mart, participants select items from the shelves, dislocating the merchandise to create visually compelling arrangements, resulting in a juxtaposition rupturing the systemic order of the superstore's interior façade. Baby dolls in washing machines, wasp spray with artificial butter aerosols, cactuses between green pillows. Respond to the embodiment of corporate defined living with unrestrained absurdism! Participate for the bored children! Participate for the underpaid bored employees! Participate for the consumers who, like jellyfish, float through life only deciding whether to buy Dr. Pepper or Dr. Thunder! Just participate!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Success!! I just picked up my processed 64T from Ralphs. they charged me $3.99(same as Kodachrome) :D

Rusty
"I think in art, but especially in films, people are trying to confirm their own existences"- Jim Morrison
Macnessa

Post by Macnessa »

Rusty, did you write "Dwaynes" or something on the envelope? I live in walking distance of Ralph's and if I could process 64t there it would make my life a lot easier.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I always write "Process E-6 Super 8 (Dwaynes)" in the special instructions box.
"I think in art, but especially in films, people are trying to confirm their own existences"- Jim Morrison