Walmart now accepts 64T and Kodachrome S8.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Mitch Perkins

Re: Walmart now accepts 64T and Kodachrome S8.

Post by Mitch Perkins »

woods01 wrote:
Mitch Perkins wrote:Take your film to Shoppers Drug Mart...if you're lucky enough to live in Canada. ~:?)
I thought there was a thread a while back that Shoppers does not
accept the 64T like they did with the old K40. Or at least the results
seemed unreliable.
Truth be told, I can't back up my statement - we take our 64T to Exclusive Film & Video here in Toronto.
I do remember that at each Shoppers location, *we* had to convince the clerk that they offered the service for Kodachrome. But convince them we did, and the film came back. I assumed they were sending the K40 to Dwayne's, and so assumed they would take the 64T likewise, but my assumptions are clearly not fact.

I apologize for misleading folks if Shoppers does not in fact accept the 64T, and I'm not sure how one would go about confirming it, especially given our experience with the Kodachrome...call the head office? [shiver]
woods01 wrote:If they are accepting it where do they send it for processing? This is pretty great news if they are taking it, I'd use it a lot as it is now the costs are such that it makes better sense to shoot 16mm. I've only shot one roll
and it looked very good but local processing in Vancouver is $25 + tax!
Plus the bastards don't have the decency to add a leader or even one
of Dwyane's nice white boxes.
Not affixing leader to the film is totally unacceptable. One hopes they just temporarily ran out and did not want to make the customer wait for the arrival of new leader. One hopes...

There are at least 3 labs in Toronto that process Super 8, B+W, colour reversal, and negative, with the neg being most expensive @ $20.00/50' roll. Once you have a certain volume of film to process, it might be cheaper to ship it back and forth - cheaper than $25.00 + tax, anyway.

If I were you I would make the trip to the local Shoppers and find out for sure whether they offer the service. I sincerely hope that they do.

Mitch
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Dwayne's recommends that you write "unexposed 8mm movie film. Send to Dwayne's Parson KS." In Florida walmart does not use FUJI. In Florida they use the Tifton Lab. Call the 800 number on the envelope and try to reason with the rep.

John S.
pulsingcinema

Post by pulsingcinema »

I live in Northwest Florida and had numerous rolls of K40 developed through Wal-Mart. This was back around Dec. 2005, however.
John R. Hand
etimh

Post by etimh »

Angus wrote:calm down.
Uhhhhh,......NO.
Angus wrote:...having made an educated choice.
Nothing "educated" about this choice, deep thinker.

Tim
reflex

Post by reflex »

etimh wrote:
Uhhhhh,......NO.

Tim
Tim, you're entitled to your opinion. Everyone else is entitled to theirs.

Attacking Angus will not encourage people to stay away from Wal-Mart.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
marc

Post by marc »

pulsingcinema wrote:I live in Northwest Florida and had numerous rolls of K40 developed through Wal-Mart. This was back around Dec. 2005, however.
I think that certain parts of Florida are differernt with regards to which labs that they use.
etimh

Post by etimh »

reflex wrote:
etimh wrote:
Uhhhhh,......NO.

Tim
Tim, you're entitled to your opinion. Everyone else is entitled to theirs.

Attacking Angus will not encourage people to stay away from Wal-Mart.
Hahahahaha... :lol:

This place is hilarious. Read Angus' post directed at me and then I'll talk to you. But thanks so much for these bits of wisdom reflex. You know that's why we've always kept you around. :roll:

Tim
reflex

Post by reflex »

etimh wrote:Read Angus' post directed at me and then I'll talk to you. But thanks so much for these bits of wisdom reflex. You know that's why we've always kept you around.

Tim
I read Angus' comment. It was absolutely level-headed:

1. He thinks Dwayne's is probably benefiting from the arrangement
2. He acknowledged that you dislike Wal-Mart
3. He supports the arrangement because it makes S8 filmmaking more accessible. He also grasps that consumers have freedom of choice and are aware of the arguments (pro and con) of shopping at Wal-Mart.

There is nothing controversial there. It's coherent and to the point.
You know that's why we've always kept you around.
I visit this forum because I value the ideas and experience of its members, especially people like Angus, Matt, Roger, Chris (several of them, actually). There was a time when you seemed to enjoy visiting filmshooting.com and contributed to threads. These days, you seem quite angry. So far, you've lashed out against Angus and me in this thread. We don't deserve it.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
super8man

Post by super8man »

I listened to NPS today and an interesting story on their american mosaic (or similar title) radio show and the corresponding forum. They had to shut it down due to the personal attacks being made.

From where I come from, we are all STAKEHOLDERS. We all have a chance to say something. Ultimately though, moderators will make the final decision to maintain individual membership, cancel comments etc. In the NPR example, it got so out of hand they simply shut down the forum. Interesting.

Me, it's all about carbon. CO2 and the harm we do to the environment generally. I like to think about and try to reduce the footprint we make. I think it has been settled long ago (but I am open to arguments) that FILMMAKING with REAL FILM is actually far more harmful than the DV folks impact. That really makes you wonder.

OK, everyone sell you cameras on ebay...flood the market...pretty please? I like recycling old cameras!!!

Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
etimh

Post by etimh »

reflex wrote:I read Angus' comment. It was absolutely level-headed...There is nothing controversial there. It's coherent and to the point.
LOL. He "thinks..." Both his assertions, and certainly his assumptions, questionable at best. At the very least, subject to challenge and debate.

His tone in his remarks to me? Hostile, dismissive, and condescending. Hell, I don't mind, I can take it...just responding in kind.
reflex wrote:These days, you seem quite angry. So far, you've lashed out against Angus and me in this thread.
Nope, pretty much always been angry. Just respond with anger towards people when confronted with ignorance, stupidity, or personal attacks.
reflex wrote:We don't deserve it.
LOL! Okay, okay...I didn't know you were such a delicate flower reflex. I'll stop being such a meanie to you and Angus. :lol:

LOLOLOL....sorry....I'm just so angry....I can't stop laughing.

Tim
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

The price for processing Kodachrome S8, R8, and 16mm is $4.88. The price for 64T is also $4.88. 100D can not be processed thru Walmart.

J.S.
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

Hey, I can actually combine anti-WM and filmmaking this time! :

Wal Mart is trying to build a 24-hour gigantic store in my little neighborhood. Luckily, my little neighborhood is full of forward-thinking folks who have organized quite effectively to work with the city council to challenge some of the more egregious parts of their site plan and hopefully make it uninteresting enough -- and obvious enough that the neighbors are against it -- that Wal Mart and the property owner would reconsider.

The impressive thing about the organization has been the pro-business stance they have taken. They have brought together an impressive coalition of city planners, architects, designers -- all who live in the neighborhood -- who have been involved in mixed-use (biz and residential), compact, sustainable developments. These people have put together alternate proposals to the property owners showing types of development that would not only make more sense to the neighborhood, but that would make them MUCH MORE MONEY.

Anyway, the point of all that on this here thread is: there was a demonstration where the neighborhood showed up on a (very cold) saturday morning and surrounded the several city blocks of the property (currently a mostly abandoned mall from the 80s that certainly needs replacing with SOMETHING, if not a Wal Mart). I shot 100' of 16mm V200T of the event, much of which admittedly was of my little girls being pushed around in a stroller. (Hey, it was their first protest...) I'll post some clips if I ever get around to having it developed. Maybe I could drop it off at Wal Mart?!? :roll:
etimh

Post by etimh »

ccortez wrote:Hey, I can actually combine anti-WM and filmmaking this time!
Thanks so much for this amazing post ccortez. With all this talk about returning to walmart for processing, I was getting a bit depressed today. But this pulled me right out of it and cheered me up!

Thanks also for the report on the film shooting connnection. I myself have been doing a lot shooting (not to mention getting hassled and running intereference!) in walmart the last couple of months as part of a "walmart intervention" project--filming the systematic "reorganization" and "recontextualization" of products and displays throughout the entire store. Lots of fun.

Good luck to you and your community in your struggle down there. I for one will be rooting for your success and would love to hear updates. Oh, and see any film you shoot of the protests! :D

Take care.

Tim

"The apotheosis of corporate systems homogenizing the terrain of our world, Wal-Mart's continual expansion propagates the omnipresent drone of everyday life. Superstores in every town rigidly contain the same merchandise, aisles, freak-smile emblems, the workers vacillating from dead to rotten under flourescent lights."
Angus

Post by Angus »

etimh wrote:
Uhhhhh,......NO.

Tim
Tim,

My first request is please grasp the concept that two perfectly well educated, sane, sensible people can examine the same set of evidence...and come to two different conclusions.

My second is that every thread which mentions wal-mart not become a predictable mudslinging match....

I know a great deal about wal-mart. I have family who work there - and by that I mean on the floors stocking the shelves etc. I have friends who knew Sam Walton and who know some of the current people running the organisation. I accept it is far from perfect, operates policies with regard to its employees that are generally illegal outside the USA...I am fully informed and yes, in an idea world things would be somewhat different.

Guess what? It ain't an ideal world.

This is not meant as an attack, more an explanation of my position.

Dwaynes are in no way forced to do a deal with wal-mart. If their business were better off not dealing with wallyworld then they would not have this new arrangement. They are providing a niche service, not some mass market product where they feel they might lose out if their boxes are not on wal-mart's shelves and a competitors are.

What we do know is that having a deal with a huge retailer makes super 8 much more accessible for the ordinary person. Hell, I wish I could drop off a cartridge at a supermarket here in the UK and expect it to be processed. AS far as I know the only place I can actually do that is the Widescreen Centre in London. Not even Jessops will handle 64T for processing. I am happy to send to Andec in Berlin, but many people would be put off.
Last edited by Angus on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Angus

Post by Angus »

etimh wrote:
His tone in his remarks to me? Hostile, dismissive, and condescending. Hell, I don't mind, I can take it...just responding in kind.
That is not my intention. Perhaps your anger is getting the better of you?

What they call "rightous anger" can be used in a positive way and can be what they call " a good thing"....but lashing at people who happen to disagree with your opinions and prejudices is not rightous anger.

If you wish a debate, by all means....debating is one of my favourite passtimes...
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)