Did beaulieu Ever mak a 400ft mag for the r16?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

milesandjules

Did beaulieu Ever mak a 400ft mag for the r16?

Post by milesandjules »

Hi guys
Did Beaulieu ever make a 400ft mag for the r16?
The reason Im asking is we have the 200ft mags with spools but no backup spools to go in them...and kodak dont seem to make film available in 200ft lengths(other than aaton).

We can shoot but it would be scary if we left the 200ft spool at the lab...we wouldnt be able to shoot with the mags anymore.

Thanks
Miles and Jules
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

You know I was just wondering that yesterday - I've never heard of them making one - but I reckon someone could make their own - it would severely effect the maneouverability of the camera though - it's a hard enough with a full load 200ft mag!

After the progress Dave made with the Super mag I'm sure it could be done - but I'm not up for it!

If you persist you'll get the 200ft reells - they pop up on eBay and people on the board here etc might have some - I'd start posting around - try here, cinematography.com and the R16 forum as well.

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
milesandjules

Post by milesandjules »

Hi Scott..yes I'll keep an eye out on ebay. What if ya modified a bolex 400fter. Our cam has a modified plug on the outside to run the mag (I guess cause of the tiny connection on the top of the camera).

Have you done much shooting with the 200ft mag. We only just bought the cam /mags. I've put some dead film through it everything is running. Now we just have to a live test.

Have you ever shot any reversal with it?

Just checked out your website....Actually we are in the same town!
Thanks
Miles
http://www.wombokforest.com.au
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Welcome back, Miles and Jules...it's been a while!
milesandjules

Post by milesandjules »

Ha ha.... Hi Patrick
I just replyed to your earlier post on telecine. Yes its been a while but I have been lurking about from time to time.
Its good to see the forum is going strong dispite these dark digital times.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Oh yes, we are in the midst of another 'dark ages'...but it's certainly not all doom and gloom as you say!
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Miles I didn't notice you were in Brissy - I've got some 200 foot reels I can lend you. I just saw your web page - I remember looking at that about a year or so ago -- aren't you in Ipswich? (Or are you just keeping that secret!!!?? LOL)

Anyway I'm in the Torres Strait at the moment and will be back in a few days - just PM me and we'll get together. Be good to talk to another R16 user in Brisbane :-)

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
milesandjules

Post by milesandjules »

Ha ha... Yes the secret is out we are in Ipswich.... but its only half a hour from Bris....I guess it's more like a suburb now. I'll give ya a call and we can talk beaulieu.

talk soon
Miles and Jules
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

milesandjules wrote: Its good to see the forum is going strong dispite these dark digital times.
I wouldn't say it's dark, just that all the highlights are blown out and there are no details in the shadows. But I'm getting on a bit, so maybe it's just my eyes.
what what