Suggestions for a Compact Super 8 Camera?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

avr

Post by avr »

Bauer 107XL or 109XL, very handly. Runs with 4 AA batteries. Time lapse. Manual exposure, great for low light
filmamigo

Post by filmamigo »

super8film wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen some of the the Kodak Instamatic Hawkeye S8 cameras and noticed that they're probably the smallest S8 cameras I've seen, however they're fixed speed, fixed focal length, and from what I can tell, manual aperture. That said, some features like auto aperture and aperture lock would be helpful.
Do these suffer from the Amazing Spontaneously Disintegrating Gears(TM) ?
David W Scott
Producer / Director
"The Behaviour of Houses"
http://www.behaviourofhouses.com
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

As for compact and convenient for vacation shooting, it's very hard to beat the Agfa Microflex series. It might be easy to slip off the shooting button, and it can't cope well with too bright and too dark scenes leaving only a thin area where it'll give great results, but that's nothing to bother you, right?

It's a 40/160ASA-only cam with no compensation dial, so the only current color stocks it'll take are Velvia50D and 100D.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

aj wrote:The Agfa Microflexes look smart and are very compact but a bit heavy. I believe these are Chinon OEM gear.
No, the Agfa Microflexes have been manufactured by Minolta. Therefore some of the Microflexes have been sold as Minolta-cameras in the USA and some other cameras, too.
This space was left intenionally blank.
Splee

Post by Splee »

The Canon AF310XL is a nice cam, as someone has mentioned - small and light, BUT only suitable for K40 and Tri-X, so once you've used up your last K40, it's not a lot of good for colour film-making as it can't handle E64T. Might be quite good for Cinevia 50, though - I'm planning on trying a roll in it myself sometime.

My smallest S8 camera is the incredibly basic Instamatic M2. Fixed focus, 18fps, completely manual exposure, tiny direct vision viewfinder - but it's suitable for any S8 film ever made, and produces surprisingly good results.
Angus

Post by Angus »

I used to have an Elmo Super 103. Small, light, silver (almost looks like a mini DV cam) and can handle 64T and all the current stocks.

I say "used to" because I dropped mine and mangled the viewfinder prisms. I disassembled it but couldn't remedy the situation. If I recall correctly it also has manual exposure in addition to a good auto system, 3x zoom lens though not a particularly wide angle at the wide end. It was a very nice little camera.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Angus wrote:I used to have an Elmo Super 103. Small, light, silver (almost looks like a mini DV cam) and can handle 64T and all the current stocks.
??? Really??? My Elmo Super 103 only has got a single lever to distinguish a 40-ASA-Tungsten from a 160-ASA-Tungsten film!? (Or did you have the "T"-modell with Superimposer? Or a 104?)

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
Rollef

Post by Rollef »

Did anyone mention bauer top star?
ti-ny!