Negative Transfer With VirtualDub> IT WORKS!!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

paulcotto

Post by paulcotto »

It's probably your camera's white balance. I found a filter that is much easier to use then the stack I uploaded. Try the "CMYK Film Color" plugin. It woks in a different color space then most of the other filters and it has negative invert built in. What I do is capture some neg footage with no filters. Then I apply CMYK Film Color and adjust it until it looks good. Then I save my settings and start virtualdub's capture module with the same filter settings still loaded. Now be sure Enable RGB filtering is checked and overlay. You should see a pretty good positive image. Let me know how it works for you. Here is a link to the filter>

http://www.geocities.com/rocketjet4/CMYK_rj.htm

Regards,
Paul Cotto
Don't worry about equipment so much and make your movie!
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Thanks Paul, that CMYK-filter works better for me...
I get better results than with the "bunch of filters" at approx.
Neg: checked
*C 30%
+C -15
*M 23%
-M -2
*Y 0%
+Y 48
*K 0%
+K 6
The result still isn't good enough, though. But I guess that's due to shooting the 200T in daylight without 85-filter in a Canon AF514XL-S (which autoexposes the 200T as a 160T).

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Paul, I'm sorry to say your examples look blurry, grainy, and sporting a lot of blue noise in the blacks.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

I have some footage from a musicvideo with The Rasmus, in negative Super8 (both 200T and 500T I think). I have the permission to post a few samples (if I show them the samples and get the OK clearance first), if I only get some sparetime to pick some images...

Time, time, time.... 8O
paulcotto

Post by paulcotto »

Yes, I know its bad footage but its all I have to play with right now.

Regards,

Paul Cotto

tlatosmd wrote:Paul, I'm sorry to say your examples look blurry, grainy, and sporting a lot of blue noise in the blacks.
paulcotto

Post by paulcotto »

Cool, I cant wait to try it out.

Regards,
Paul Cotto
Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:I have some footage from a musicvideo with The Rasmus, in negative Super8 (both 200T and 500T I think). I have the permission to post a few samples (if I show them the samples and get the OK clearance first), if I only get some sparetime to pick some images...

Time, time, time.... 8O