Art Garfunkel is a current Super 8 user!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Mogzy

Art Garfunkel is a current Super 8 user!

Post by Mogzy »

Yes folks, in a column in a magazine called "Live" which comes with the 2nd July Mail on Sunday (a middle-market British paper which my Dad buys) is a column called "I can't live without..." in which celebrities reveal a few of their favourite things.

The main item in the column is the Sankyo Super CM 400 (my favourite model of camera, no less!) with a HUGE picture of it.

The relevant piece of the article runs as follows (I hope I'm not breaking any laws in repeating it here, apologies if so)...

"I bought this years ago and it has recorded the majority of my older son's life and that of our family. At the last count I had 41 completed tapes, each two hours long, all made on super 8 film. Every four months I film another couple of hours and there are very few key moments in our family history that haven't been recorded for posterity. People wonder why I don't have a newer camera, but why change something if it works the way you want it to?"

My thoughts exactly! (and it can do 64T and 100D for the record!)

2 hours every 4 months? That's about 80 cartridges a year! Wow! Good on him! :D

The other items are a toy seal, a jacket, War and Peace and a pedometer!
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

Raise your hand if you plan to track down Mr. Garfunkel and offer him Workprinter transfer of all his films. :)
richardsnow

Post by richardsnow »

Good for Art, he's a good guy.

Did he include his grass in the "Things I can't live without" list? :lol:
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Wow, great news! Now I wonder whether we could get him and/or Paul Simon to protest publically against the axing of K40 and make him/them harass Kodak to bring it back even non-process paid! :D
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
Mogzy

Post by Mogzy »

It would be a great idea, but I'm sure A.G. can afford to use all the other non-process paid stocks and get professional telecine etc. He probably wouldn't be bothered about the demise of K40 when the (albeit more expensive) 100D is out there which looks almost identical to it.
Arislan

Post by Arislan »

Mogzy wrote:It would be a great idea, but I'm sure A.G. can afford to use all the other non-process paid stocks and get professional telecine etc. He probably wouldn't be bothered about the demise of K40 when the (albeit more expensive) 100D is out there which looks almost identical to it.
That would be assuming he knows it exists. I am willing to bet he just buys E64T and doesn't read this forum.
"Here we all are, all our nationalities chatting and joking on a forum- two or three generations ago we were blowing each other up! "
Super-Swede

Post by Super-Swede »

Well Paul Simon wrote the song "Kodachrome", he should rerecord it with different lyrics: Kodak, don't take my Kodachrome away!

Kodachrome lyrics

When I think back
On all the crap I learned in high school
It's a wonder
I can think at all
And though my lack of edu---cation
Hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, Oh yeah
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew
When I was single
And brought them all together for one night
I know they'd never match
my sweet imagination
everything looks worse in black and white

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, Oh yeah
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

Mama don't take my Kodachrome away

Mama don't take my Kodachrome

Leave your boy so far from home

T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

That song was written long before 100D, which is so much better... here is the new song,

mamma give me one hundred D, mamma give me one hundred D, Ohh pleeeease. It's so much better than kodachrome, so much better than kodachrome... even the color and latatude alo-ooan!
100D and Vision 3 please
Angus

Post by Angus »

note my avatar :)
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
JCook

Post by JCook »

I just received six rolls of K40 back from Dwaynes. Five of the six have the blue streak of death syndrom, very discouraging! :roll:

These six rolls were shot over a three week period in May. I have three more that were shot recently waiting to be sent for develoipement however these last three are dated 2006 instead of 2005 like the previous batch. Crossing my fingers....

Has anyone had blue streak problems with 100D?

John
Mogzy

Post by Mogzy »

JCook wrote:I just received six rolls of K40 back from Dwaynes. Five of the six have the blue streak of death syndrom, very discouraging! :roll:

These six rolls were shot over a three week period in May. I have three more that were shot recently waiting to be sent for develoipement however these last three are dated 2006 instead of 2005 like the previous batch. Crossing my fingers....

Has anyone had blue streak problems with 100D?

John
A couple of months ago I bought:

1 Cart of Wittnerchrome 100D (Ektachrome 100D repackaged)
1 Cart of Wittnerchrome 40T (Kodachrome 40 repackaged)

Both process-paid.

It turned out 100D was processed by Andec in Berlin and was virtually flawless.

The 40T was processed by Dwaynes (White reel and box) and it had blue streaks and other scratches. Both were shot using the same camera and played on the same projector.

I'm a 100D convert and don't miss Kodachrome anymore.

BTW all of Kodak's current stocks (including 64T) seem a hell of a lot less prone to scratching than K40 did.
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Mogzy wrote:The 40T was processed by Dwaynes (White reel and box) and it had blue streaks and other scratches. Both were shot using the same camera and played on the same projector.

I'm a 100D convert and don't miss Kodachrome anymore.

BTW all of Kodak's current stocks (including 64T) seem a hell of a lot less prone to scratching than K40 did.
Those blue streaks appear a recent issue of Dwayne's, not of K40 itself.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
Angus

Post by Angus »

Scratching during processing or after?

I've never had a K40 cart processed other than perfectly...and I've been using the stuff twenty years...I'm not sure when the Swiss lab became the only European processing site but I can assume many of my carts ended up there...and none at Dwaynes as I wasn't shooting super 8 when I lived in the states (probably would have if I knew about the wal-mart deal).

I've only really heard of problems with Dwaynes...having said that most people seem satisifed with them.

Back in the day of Ektachrome 160, Kodak's processing service often resulted in light blue tram lines, sometimes for the entirity of a roll.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Mogzy

Post by Mogzy »

My apologies for confusing the two issues there... I meant K40 appears more prone to scratching after processing (by projectors etc) than the current emulsions.

The current emulsions (in my experience) seem more rugged and also pick up less dust than K40.