Cleaning an internal filter for Beaulieu

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

TronX

Cleaning an internal filter for Beaulieu

Post by TronX »

I have a Beaulieu 2008s and was wondering if it is possible to clean the internal filter.

Whenever I activate it I can see spots of dirt that would probably degrade the image quality.

Can I do this at home or will I have to spend $100 to send it to Sweden or whatever? (or will the spots not be an issue?)
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

Spots on a behind-the-lens filter are worse than spots on a front-of-the-lens filter. You should replace the gelatin filters. If you know how to get into the camera that far, you should be able to do it yourself. But I'll get mine changed out when I send my 4008ZM2 to Bjorn for overhaul.
aj

Re: Cleaning an internal filter for Beaulieu

Post by aj »

TronX wrote:I have a Beaulieu 2008s and was wondering if it is possible to clean the internal filter.

Whenever I activate it I can see spots of dirt that would probably degrade the image quality.
If they are on the lensside of the filter you can brush them off or blow them off. From the rear is more difficulte as you have find a way to hand cranck the mechanism into a position where the mirror is up and the filter exposed.

Remember it is a gelatin filter!

You could also consider removing the filter using the instructions by Baumgarten... And use frontlens filters instead which will also color the viewfinder image. You could also keep in a filter key permanently.

Don't forget to redo the exposure calculation!
Kind regards,

André
jean

Post by jean »

since you ask, i guess you're not ready to disassemble your camera. If it's just dirt, i'd try to blow it off with canned air from both sides. I presume you already figured out how to access the filter, since you noticed the dirt.

Remember that it's two filters, a clear one and the orange one, and both will be eqqually dirty.
have fun!