Films you are ashamed that you have never seen

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
npcoombs

Films you are ashamed that you have never seen

Post by npcoombs »

This was motivated by putting together a list for one of these online DVD rental services, although no need to be particularly realistic here, as many great films have only limited availability. My current crop includes

Ordet (1954) Carl Dreyer
SatanTango (1994) Bela Tarr
Salo (1975) Pier Paulo Pasolini
Francesco, Giullare Di Dio (1950) Roberto Rosselini
Wild Strawberries (1957) Ingmar Bergman
Robinson in Space (1994) Patrick Keiller
Last Year in Marienbad (1961) Alain Resnais
Taste of Cherry (1997) Abbas Kiarostami
woods01

Post by woods01 »

I admit I have never seen a film by Ingmar Bergman and there is a lot
of French New Wave I would like to see, I've only seen Day for Night
and 400 Blows.
Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

i guess i should have seen every film made by the great 'auteurs de cinema', like Bergman, Antonioni, Fellini, Visconti, Fassbinder, Hitchcock, Welles etc etc. I'm somewhat ashamed i haven't, although i have this 'theory' that sooths me a bit: if there's an infinity of movies out there, than you can't really say you have missed out on anything, because you can't divide anything that's infinite 8) This thought will sooth me for just about half a second, but still.
We'll knock back a few, and talk about life, and what is right
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I've seen a few minutes of Salo... my brother was at the Satan-tango screening in NY a few weeks ago and didn't stay to the end.

I need to see Tarkovsky's films that I haven't seen yet (Ivan's Childhood, Steamroller and the Violin, Andrei Rublev, The Killers, and Nostalghia...)
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Evan Kubota wrote: I need to see Tarkovsky's films that I haven't seen yet (Ivan's Childhood, Steamroller and the Violin, Andrei Rublev, The Killers, and Nostalghia...)
I would throughly recommed Andrei Rublev and Nostalghia. Along with Mirror these are my favourite Tarkovsky films.
mattias

Post by mattias »

right now i'm ashamed that i heart huckabees has been in my dvd player for a week and i never seem to get past the 10 minute mark. as for the classics i've seen them all... :-)

/matt
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...I'm most ashamed of the fact that I haven't seen every episode of the 1970s hit American TV shows "All in the Family" and "Welcome Back Cotter".

At other times I wish I could erase a lot of French new wave cinema from my memory, although the "400 Blows" stands as one of the best movies I've seen.
Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Have you seen Ascenseur pour l'echafaud Steve? The debut of Louis Malle. Typical new wave but really well done. Features a sad looking Jeanne Moreau and a score by Miles Davis.
We'll knock back a few, and talk about life, and what is right
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

I have seen most of the classics, but I am more ashaned that I have only watched some of them in poor VHS-copy quality rather than the big screen.

I need to catch up on Win Wenders and Jim Jarmusch, though...

Nathan, go and see Ordet. I think it will just be your tyoe of film. I've seen it several times on the big screen, and would go again tomorrow.

michael