Beaulieu 5008s battery recelling

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

kendoman

Beaulieu 5008s battery recelling

Post by kendoman »

Hello,

I just purchased a Beaulieu 5008s and I am 99% sure that I will need to recell the battery. I've been looking at this forum and was able to find information on DIY battery recelling for the 4008 series but nothing for the 5008. Any help on DYI battery recelling for the 5008 will be appreciated.

Also, I want to know if anyone knows of a place in LA where I can get this camera lubed.

Thanks in advance.
jean

Post by jean »

it's fairly easy compared to the 4008, since you can use standard cells. These even exist longer cells that have more power and fit perfectly in the holder.

The battery is opened from the contact side, unlike the first impression suggests (one might think that at the other end the cap might screw off, but it's glued). The screws are hidden under a cover, remove that carefully in order to get it back on after you have finished.

The rest is self explaining, note the voltage of the three contacts (check the cables and the original cells). You need 3.6V and 7.2V, and don't confuse them ;-)
have fun!
christoph

Post by christoph »

jean wrote:The battery is opened from the contact side, unlike the first impression suggests (one might think that at the other end the cap might screw off, but it's glued). The screws are hidden under a cover, remove that carefully in order to get it back on after you have finished.
having recelled two 5008 batteries myself, i might add that i had a lot of trouble getting the screws back to hold the front plat.. the problem is that hey use a counter ring on the other side, which always shifted before the screws managed to get contact.

the solution for me was to use a needle to allign the counter ring with the holes, and press the counter ring back from the other side. obviously i had to cut off the cap on the other end for that. maybe it would work better if you'd glue the counter ring in place before you screw the front cap back on. or somebody else a good trick.

other than that, jup it's very easy using 6 AAA cells.. i used three 4 packs with soldering contacts, and split one to get two six packs. but since then i've found already soldered 6 packs on other places.

600-800mAh gets you a long way :)
++ christoph ++
aj

Post by aj »

jean wrote:it's fairly easy compared to the 4008, since you can use standard cells. These even exist longer cells that have more power and fit perfectly in the holder.

The battery is opened from the contact side, unlike the first impression suggests (one might think that at the other end the cap might screw off, but it's glued). The screws are hidden under a cover, remove that carefully in order to get it back on after you have finished.

The rest is self explaining, note the voltage of the three contacts (check the cables and the original cells). You need 3.6V and 7.2V, and don't confuse them ;-)
Without opening the end-cap?

How can you possibly get six cells (what type do you plan to use, 5/4 AAA?) in through the 13mm hole? And these cells also have to be soldered together before shifting them in. Need some Houdini help there. Please post some picture while performing this act :)

Not to mention how to get out the original stack of disc shaped NiCd's These are larger than the hole and shrinkfoil wrapped.
Last edited by aj on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,

André
christoph

Post by christoph »

aj wrote:Not to mention how to get out the original stack of disc shaped NiCd's These are larger than the hole and shrinkfoil wrapped.
right, i knew there was an other reason why i cut off that end cap :)
++ christoph ++
Billbot

Re: Beaulieu 5008s battery recelling

Post by Billbot »

kendoman wrote: Also, I want to know if anyone knows of a place in LA where I can get this camera lubed.
Ijm incorporated can do that.

http://www.ijmincorporated.com
.B.I.L.L.B.O.T.
kendoman

Post by kendoman »

Thanks everyone for the help. I will let you know how it goes with the recelling. :wink:
joosypigeon

Post by joosypigeon »

Hi kendoman how did it go?
Do you have any photos?

Im expecting a Beaulieu 5008s soon, so Im very interested.
Thanks
indiestar

IJM INCORPORATED

Post by indiestar »

Stay away from IJM INCORPORATED