The Dead Nextdoor

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

pulsingcinema

Post by pulsingcinema »

Chris, you can check out an mpeg-1 version of my trailer at http://www.pulsingcinema.com/JRHFilms/fbnteaser2.mpg . I really didn't notice an incredible amount of jitter in any of my material but I guess given my subject matter I wasnt looking for a completely stabilized, DVNR, wetgate transfer look. I'll be able to post a few more clips once I can get a new hard drive to transfer the stuff off from the minidv.

Was 5 Dead... really shot on Super-8? I have the DVD but I thought the director mentioned that it was 16mm? Either way it had a very grainy, textured look.

EDIT - Corrected the link :roll:
Last edited by pulsingcinema on Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

I got a 404 when I tried your link.
pulsingcinema

Post by pulsingcinema »

Wow, I just rewatched the commentary for 5 Dead on a Crimson Canvas and they did indeed shoot on super-8, E160 for the interiors and K40 for a few of the outdoor scenes.

From my limited experience on my Frankenstein film I found K40 to be a problem to properly light when used in interiors given the meager lights I had and the fact that I was going for a rather moody "pools of light" type of approach. I think there were only one or two scenes where I really got it the way I wanted by just dousing the actors with lights literally just an inch out of frame. And then that seemed like a problem too, finding exactly where the frameline was in the chinon viewfinder vs. the projector gate vs. the final transfer, not an obscenely incredible difference but stuff did creep into frame.
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

Yes, Nekromantik was shot on super 8 and looks great.

Only one short scene was on 16mm and that is the one that looks the worst.
It's about 2mins long near the start of the film.

It starts with a woman peeing at the side of the road next to a car with a man in it, she then gets into a car with the man.
They drive along for a bit and start to argue about directions and while the man driving is distracted he crashes the car. And that is the only 16mm in the film, the rest is shot on super 8.

Chris.
Last edited by Chris-B on Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

I just watched the trailer and it looks fantastic!!!!
I loved the Suspiria/Inferno type coloured lighting.

I really loved the music, did you say you recorded the music yourself??
I love horror soundtracks, it reminded me of the euro horror soundtracks of the late 70's early 80's, what a great job!

When is the film going to be completed. Will you be selling dvd's?
If so let me know as I'd love to see the whole thing.

Chris.

PS What did you think of 5 Dead on a Crimson Canvas?
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

pulsingcinema, your trailer looks really good! Would be interested to see the finished film.
Tim Drage
films - http:///www.spiteyourface.com
noise - http://www.cementimental.com

"It's cheaper to shoot someone with a gun than a film camera." - amishman35
pulsingcinema

Post by pulsingcinema »

Thanks guys, I'm actually still shooting pieces of it during the next two weeks but hopefully after that I can start editing as well as transfer the last small batch of super-8 I have left to telecine.

I recorded all the music myself using a bunch of vintage synthesizer virtual intruments; the only part that I really didn't "write" was the bit of Brahms that was brought in through sheet music into a midi file and then through a sequencer where I then eseentially "performed" or rendered the final version. Hopefully the whole thing will be done by next year and I haven't decided exactly whether I'll be going for self-distribution or through someone else but it's definitely been a learning experience either way.

I thought 5 dead was a pretty neat film, not exactly as polished or accomplished as I would've hoped but the grainy texture of the whole thing helped create that Giallo atmosphere.