New S-8 feature film...

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

CHAS

New S-8 feature film...

Post by CHAS »

Full-length feature shot for 3 grand in SF...
Konton, were you aware of this?
Looks like it might be interesting...

Charm is the debut full length feature film by esteemed underground film makers Sarah Reed and Sadie Shaw. Though at first glance, the film has all the classic hallmarks of a horror film, it also deals with elements of alienation, isolation and the destructive nature of relationships both friendly and and familial. Using imagery beautiful, brutal and surreal, the film follows Rosie as she struggles and ultimately fails to cope with the apathy she experiences all around her. She lashes out, increasingly violently in an attempt to register some kind of reaction from the world around her. With its roots in the horror genre, Charm expands on this theme to create a visually stunning and emotionally charged film experience. Shot entirely in San Francisco on a budget of $3000 in Super-8, CHARM features a soundtrack with such talents as THE AISLERS SET, DEERHOOF, Members of THE FUCKING CHAMPS AND UNWOUND, THE NEED, THRONES and THE LIES, who all wrote music specifically for the film. Also includes CD soundtrack. http://www.microcinema.com/programResul ... ram_id=424
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I'm not going to say anything bad about it because I haven't seen it, but the plot description reminds me of your short "Ennui." :wink: Young female lashing out at the apathetic world... doesn't exactly sound concrete or compelling to me, but who knows.

FWIW, with my standard 2:1 shooting ratio I calculated that I could probably bang out an 80 minute S8 feature shot at 24fps with a DIY transfer for less than $1500. Of course, finding 70 carts of K40 may be tough now... I only have 12 at the moment, and I'm not going to get more.
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

Evan Kubota wrote:I'm not going to say anything bad about it because I haven't seen it, but the plot description reminds me of your short "Ennui." :wink: Young female lashing out at the apathetic world... doesn't exactly sound concrete or compelling to me, but who knows.

FWIW, with my standard 2:1 shooting ratio I calculated that I could probably bang out an 80 minute S8 feature shot at 24fps with a DIY transfer for less than $1500. Of course, finding 70 carts of K40 may be tough now... I only have 12 at the moment, and I'm not going to get more.
Hmmm...interesting point...I did submit my short to SFAI's fest...never heard back from them...maybe my film fell into the wrong hands! ;]
of course I could say the same thing about the film "May" ... but maybe I shouldn't...

Anyway, I have a 1.5:1 shooting ratio, myself...you and I could set a record for thriftiness...or insanity...
P.w.Shelton

Charm

Post by P.w.Shelton »

This is available on netflix. I'm going to check it out for curiosities sake. I'll let you know if it's worth watching.
Sincerely,
Patrick W. Shelton
Actor

Post by Actor »

Evan Kubota wrote:FWIW, with my standard 2:1 shooting ratio I calculated that I could probably bang out an 80 minute S8 feature shot at 24fps with a DIY transfer for less than $1500. Of course, finding 70 carts of K40 may be tough now... I only have 12 at the moment, and I'm not going to get more.
How about a 2:1 shooting ratio, 80 minutes, 18 fps, a DIY transfer and shoot DS-8 Foma. I come up with $426 not including shipping costs.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Yeah, DS8 Foma... but I don't have a DS8 camera. I know you recently got a DS8 Scoopic. I considered doing something similar because of how cheap that Foma is through Chambless, but I can't justify the purchase when that's the only source at that price.