8mm black and white film project

Collaborative film projects
mr_x

Re: 8mm black and white film project

Post by mr_x »

Joyeux Noel 1 and all! :)

still working on my b/w film footage - about to construct a new film-drying rack since i'm doing a bulk development with the Foma kit ~ two separate 8mm films and a Standard 8 [double 8]

all this footage will be home transferred after months and months of having no projector due to debris inside the lens, then having to buy a whole replacement projector just to get at a duplicate lens, after searching for months on the internet for a replacement which never showed up

yes, the b/w film will have a soundtrack - it's a synch with software - just convert your audio to wav and load it to the software 'time-line'. Alternatively someone in Britain still soundstripes film somewhere - intriguing possibility ;)

wave on
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

Double 8 footage / project now developed - will send off for splitting - so far so good ;)
Garfed

Post by Garfed »

I practiced several times, with a "waste" Cartier Earrings film loading and open the movie before I installed real. After about three times you can not see it, and then do any of its problems in a changing bag....
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

my project was destroyed during splitting. the processed footage was accidentally re-processed leaving metre after after metre of clear acetate. am going to re-shoot it but probably in 16mm, which will minimalise chances of the footage going west again. Apologies but what occurred was literally 'out of my hands'.

Ric
wahiba

Post by wahiba »

Why use the old technology for old things.

Use it for new and really confused historians of the future. When they find your surviving 8mm film of a High Speed Train it will make their day as by then all the digital media will be dust!
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

wahiba wrote:Why use the old technology for old things.

Use it for new and really confused historians of the future. When they find your surviving 8mm film of a High Speed Train it will make their day as by then all the digital media will be dust!
Yes, digital media do not project forwards into the future because they change every 5 minutes and what was state-of-the-art technology yesterday is obsolete today, like vhs video tape technology.

But I don't regard 8mm film as old technology because it is a contemporary medium. Ain't that a scream? Vhs is as dead as the dodo, the medium which eclipsed film in the 1980's, and is now totally redundant, while ciné film moves on :)

Ric
Charlie Blackfield

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

Haven't checked the forum for a while, Ric, and only now came across your post telling us that your footage was all destroyed. Very sorry to hear this - especially given all the effort you put into this.

As for old technology being used to record new things: well, I do it all the time. The footage I took in Scotland back in 2009 features wide-angle recordings of trucks being loaded with blades for a wind-power station. And recently I filmed a friend of mine in slow-motion, as he walks out of the ICE train in Cologne, also on 8mm with my 1956 Bolex.

Charlie
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

I have some 16mm b/w in the can, taken of a stately building - now elegant ruin - which was blown up in 1643. I think I am addicted to ciné filming ;)
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

Firstly i have to apoligize to all of you that I was out of this forum for a longer period. To be honestly my footage was not succesful and I had other important activities to do, especially my long and boring :) Phd studies (no i'm still not at the end of it but very near).
I even forgot my filmshooting forum password... Finally i'm back and ready to film my 8mm black and white part again!
It seems to me this tiny 8mm filmmaking group is still alive!!! :))
"Cuando despertó, el dinosaurio todavía estaba allí."
("When he awoke, the dinosaur was still there.")

Augusto Monterroso, El Dinosaurio
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

Superbus_ wrote:It seems to me this tiny 8mm filmmaking group is still alive!!! :))
- in spirit here if not in fact - i will humbly proffer some 16mm towards the brief which was 'film something old' was it not?

thanks,

Ric
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

mr_x wrote:
Superbus_ wrote:It seems to me this tiny 8mm filmmaking group is still alive!!! :))
- in spirit here if not in fact - i will humbly proffer some 16mm towards the brief which was 'film something old' was it not?
Okay here we go - something old in black & white but in 16mm instead of Standard 8 which I am still experimenting with :)

http://youtu.be/7bLPYTgfQas
71er

Post by 71er »

Great! What film stock did you use?
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

Okay here we go - something old in black & white but in 16mm instead of Standard 8 which I am still experimenting with

http://youtu.be/7bLPYTgfQas
It was Kodak Tri-X :)

Standard 8 is on hold till i look at my projector. Does anyone know if it is safe to widen the film guide onto the pull-down please, I am worried the guides might be pinching the sides of the Standard 8 film now and then?

Thanks,

Ric