Leicina 8s meter

Technical talk about 8mm, Super8, 9.5mm, 16mm and 35mm ++ motion picture cameras.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

alexmuir

Leicina 8s meter

Post by alexmuir »

I have two of these cameras, and am hoping to use one on holiday. This is the Standard/Regular 8 model with interchangeable converter lenses. The motors run ok, but I'm not sure about the metering and auto-exposure system. I've put a 1.4V alkaline hearing aid cell in it. The meter needle moves in the viewfinder, but is sometimes a bit erratic, even with the camera pointed at a fixed subject. I've also tried a 1.5V alkaline cell with similar results, although the readings are closer to my Seckonic L 308s meter. It's in my mind that I read somewhere that this camera behaves this way normally. Can anyone confirm that? I would be happier if the needle pointed to a value and stayed put until the lighting or subject changed. The other thing that occurred to me was that the alkaline cells need to breathe, whereas the original mercury cell didn't. The compartment on this camera doesn't have any provision for air entry. Thanks for any information and advice.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EdWood

Re: Leicina 8s meter

Post by EdWood »

A bit late to help you but it may be of help to someone else one day.

I also use a hearing aid battery 1.4 volt with a very small rubber belt to hold it central. It could be your battery is moving around loosing circuit contact perhaps. Had some great results from my Leicina Standard 8 camera this year but be warned the 1.4V cells do not last a very long time and always buy a good brand.

Enjoy!
alexmuir

Re: Leicina 8s meter

Post by alexmuir »

Hi. Just back on the film scene after a few years, and noticed this post from Ed Wood. Many thanks. I have been using a Nikkorex 8F since then, but will dig out the Leicinas to give them a try. I have found that two of the hearing aid batteries, taped together, and with a spacer (tinfoil ball) between them works in the Nikkorex. Exposures seem fine, although I do also use it manually with a separate meter.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro