Gauge Film - times slots?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mr_x

Gauge Film - times slots?

Post by mr_x »

Hi,

When Gauge says:

"our developing/ scanning deadline is next Tuesday at 1pm.

Film in the current batch will be shipped before 1pm next Tuesday so please don't chase your film if it falls within our schedule"

- how does that work out in practical terms please?

So I sent a film in today, four days before the deadline - does that mean the film will get processed on Tuesday next week, or does it mean it will be stored till Tuesday, then processed and sent out with the subsequent batch, in a month's time please?

Charlie Blackfield

Re: Gauge Film - times slots?

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

I've used Gauge Film quite a few times and, at present, have a film there. It was filmed on 22 May, so missed the deadline 22 May, 1pm. Hence it got into the pile of all films received by the following deadline (12 June) which then get processed and scanned during the following three weeks, and it should be sent out about now, or, in any case, by Tuesday 3 July. I'm looking forward to receiving my film and file at some point next week (It was my last cartridge of Ektachrome 100D - still quite nervous to see whether or not it has worked out).

If you read the turnaround paragraph on https://www.gaugefilm.co.uk/ it should all become clear.

Charlie
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

Thanks,

So after the deadline - next Tuesday - "All film will be developed and scanned within three weeks".

Thus it's wise to organise filming to coincide with the run-up to these deadlines - or have a very long wait?

This will be my first telecine (16mm) and I am itching to experiment with the negative acetate when it comes back as well - there are other elements to this project which I am on the edge of my seat for also... this is a whole summer project, unfolding as it progresses - blow-by-blow introduction to the SBM too, by autumn I should know all its advantages and foibles :)
aj

Post by aj »

What a millennial bureaucrat. What could possibly be the problem to process film when they come in when the chemistry is still good? Or are we to believe that all is done in one day after the deadline?
Kind regards,

André
Phil_F_NM

Post by Phil_F_NM »

You get much better consistency in the whole process and better results if you do a lot of film at once instead of doing individual jobs piecemeal. Once you let the chemistry start to sit you get chunks precipitating which can and often do, wind up in the rollers. Also every time a replenisher is loaded, a new set of densitometry readings should be done just to ensure the timing is still spot on. All that work for a few rolls is not worth the time and certainly not worth the risk to customers' film.

Phil Forrest
doug

Post by doug »

Also, as the gaugefilm team is small I hope sometimes they can emerge from the darkroom into the glorious UK summer we are having :)

I know it can be agonising waiting when in the middle of an important project as you obviously are. I can only suggest doing the E6 yourself, it's not that difficult. (Or is it monochrome ?) Or maybe try Dwaynes who are fast turnaround but long time shipping if you're not in the US.
Any news I wonder with Andec ? Another possibility is https://www.super8.nl/english/e_index.htm who maybe fairly quick but you'd have to ask... they did some amazing quality 16mm E6 for me.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
Angus

Post by Angus »

Isn't Gauge Film a small, home based business? Like a couple of people doing film processing and offering classes around their day jobs? I've used them a couple of times and certainly their processing of E6 material is top notch.

I think that when they say they're nearly ready to do a run of processing, they mean they've pretty much filled all the available slots. They do maybe 20 at a time (someone else can confirm) and if your film arrives 21st then you have to wait for the next round.

And yes...E6 chemicals are certainly best used once and not kept around for days or weeks after.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)