Ugrade from analogue telecine

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Boffee

Ugrade from analogue telecine

Post by Boffee »

I am looking to upgrade my frame to frame telecine rig, which consists of a modified Eumig 610D and a Hitachi 3CCD HV D30 machine vision camera, which is analogue and I am using S-video output into a USB Grabber, only SD. I was thinking of using VideoFred’s set up from a few years ago, eg a Imaging source camera DFK 31BFDF03 as there are a few on ebay at the moment in the USA, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Imagingsourc ... SwpzVayNsC.
As I am in the UK I would have to import it.
This would give me a firewire output at 1024 X 768. It is only 1CCD so I am not sure whether it worth the bother & expense. Has anyone got experience with these? I notice this model does not come with an I/O on the back but it does have a BNC trigger. Perhaps that would be sufficient for doing frame to frame.
camera8mm

Re: Ugrade from analogue telecine

Post by camera8mm »

Most of the tobin telecine machines use the imaging sources cameras.
It comes with free capture software.
I dont know, however, if there is a trigger on the tobin machine or camera that captures the image at each frame or film chain capture.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

I would go for a Pt Grey/Flir camera with a minimum of full HD and with a decent dynamic range.

https://eu.ptgrey.com/usb3-vision-cameras

Most cameras come with capture software, but you may need to play around a bit to get it working. You would need to set up some kind of a trigger to capture the frames at the correct time.

I have 2 of these cameras for my Filmfabriek scanner. Looking to get a thrid one, 4K.

Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Nate Williams

Post by Nate Williams »

Andreas Wideroe wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:10 pm I have 2 of these cameras for my Filmfabriek scanner. Looking to get a thrid one, 4K.
We just upgraded a Retroscan Universal with a Blackfly S 4k camera and are really pleased. Sensors keep getting better and better.