Where can you buy positive 16mm color film?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Silverdream

Re: Where can you buy positive 16mm color film?

Post by Silverdream »

That's interesing information chaps. It's confirmed my suspicions that Super 8 is not all that much better than Standard 8.
I think the Kodachrome 25 daylight was available in Super 8 cartridges at one time and it would have been amazing.
The thing is these days film has to compete with video so the slow speed stocks are not very versatile.
It seems the film manufactures are now catering for video users, not us film users. :-?
doug

Post by doug »

In theory, super-8 should be a lot better than regular due to the extra image area, even more so with max-8. But that's unlikely unless it's a Logmar camera, because of the inferior registration and lack of film flatness. However, handheld shooting of closeups does tend to look good on super-8.

Back to my desire for a slow reversal colour film...
If extra speed is needed you can always push the E6 film, not possible in the old Kodachrome days.
The ideal situation might be of course: 3 different speeds of film, 25asa 100asa and a 200asa emulsion like the Wittnerchrome by Agfa.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Where is Ferrania? I sent several $100 as kickstarter. No news in several months. Very quiet! I doubt color reversal will be forth coming. Kodak has been promising color reversal for several years. The latest was color in early summer. Well summer is just around the corner and no sign of color Ektachrome.
aj

Post by aj »

mr8mm wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:51 am Where is Ferrania? I sent several $100 as kickstarter. No news in several months. Very quiet! I doubt color reversal will be forth coming. Kodak has been promising color reversal for several years. The latest was color in early summer. Well summer is just around the corner and no sign of color Ektachrome.
Supposedly Kodak is manufacturing test batches...
https://www.filmvorfuehrer.de/topic/253 ... ent=303993
The photos are from the US.

It would be good to have one of those test master rolls cut up into R-8 or Super-8 :)

LIkely they are at Kodak the same as Ferrania. Set-up a scaled down production using old equipment. Unfortunately the equipment en facilities at Ferrania are much older and have been out off operation quite a bit longer. They had to clear asbestos out first and had to replace infrastructure.
Kind regards,

André
doug

Post by doug »

http://www.filmferrania.it/news-article ... the-making

Still hope :)
Maybe a black and white 16mm film could be achieved in the meantime ? And super-8 surely needs one now, with Adox gone... or is it ?
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
doug

Post by doug »

More progress from our Ferrania friends :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fi ... ect_update
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
doug

Post by doug »

Apparently Ferrania have made more progress in the past two weeks and things are looking more hopeful, with a new team-member just arrived. Colour film probably some time away yet but at least they talk of restarting that research. Theoretically, 16mm should be easier to produce than super-8 ?
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

No difference. You cut 16mm strips from a jumbo and then perforate them. Super-8 begins as Double-Super-8. In former years, 8-S has been made from 35mm and 32mm strands for mass copying on multiple exposure printers but that’s amost forgotten. Two times 16 from 32 had also existed.
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

I took it Doug meant that 16mm could get away with a less good film quality as it has more negative area. Super 8 film needs to be very fine grained and sharp to be acceptable which would be harder to make.
I will say that I feel Super 8 has become too expensive compared to 16mm. Although I won't stop using Super 8, I want to have a go at 16mm when I find the right camera.
doug

Post by doug »

Silverdream wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:24 am I took it Doug meant that 16mm could get away with a less good film quality as it has more negative area. Super 8 film needs to be very fine grained and sharp to be acceptable which would be harder to make.
I will say that I feel Super 8 has become too expensive compared to 16mm. Although I won't stop using Super 8, I want to have a go at 16mm when I find the right camera.
I was really just thinking of the super-8 cartridges being more of a hassle for Ferrania etc to produce than a simple daylight roll of 16mm film. But you have a point about sharpness, especially for say regular-8. And yes super-8 has got too expensive with the processing considered.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co