Bolex SBM Cable Release?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mr_x

Bolex SBM Cable Release?

Post by mr_x »

Hi,

Just tried my H16 Reflex Bolex side-cable release on a SBM and it doesn't fit! X(

The cable bracket fits the SBM side chamber but the bracket won't engage with the chamber slot, it goes into it but will not turn 90 degrees to lock it in there - it won't turn at all.

Tried the cable on my old H16 and it fit and engaged at once.

I researched this but everything I found claims the side-cables are interchangeable between models. Well they're not.

http://bolexh16user.net/CableReleases.htm

Any ideas please?

Thanks. :)
mr_x

Re: Bolex SBM Cable Release?

Post by mr_x »

From what I can work out, the 'key' which fits into the side slot protrudes too much, so it hits the back of the slot, giving no space for it to go back any further. That means the key can't align with the slot and turn - the SBM side-slot is not deep enough.

Update.

It wasn't the key, it was the socket lugs on the bracket which were colliding with the oval slot walls on the SBM. Those walls are about 0.5mm-1mm proud compared to the H16 Reflex, so that the cable bracket cannot sit snugly in place. I had to file the lugs. Now the bracket sits tight and locks in place. A second problem - which I don't understand - is that the cable was jamming when screwed tight into the bracket. I found that by, trial and error, screwing the bracket to the cable one full turn only allowed the cable to work smoothly; any tighter and it jams - just what you want out on a shoot, eh? ;)
mr_x

Re: Bolex SBM Cable Release?

Post by mr_x »

Does anyone still shoot 16mm here?

Took the SBM out in the wilds yesterday to test the light meter - it works - and the cable release: no problem.

Roll on summer!

;)