16mm

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Pj

16mm

Post by Pj »

For almost a year I have been buying old 16mm cameras and using them, this is the Keystone;

https://vimeo.com/244199838

Pav
Mmechanic

Re: 16mm

Post by Mmechanic »

If you had some money left, you might buy a tripod for a change.
Advocatus diavoli
doug

Post by doug »

Mmechanic wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:39 am If you had some money left, you might buy a tripod for a change.
Advocatus diavoli
Shaken not stirred... is clumsier with a tripod.
J.B.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

That’s a good one!
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Lovely color. A monopod makes a good walking stick. Keystone cameras are real nice, I used one a lot. A Weston lV light meter completed the ensaumble. The camera even fit into my baggy pants pocket, but only with a normal lens.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

My favorite "old" 16mm camera is the Kodak K100. It can shoot almost a whole 100' roll with one winding.
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

According to a Kodak K-100 ad in Popular Science of June 1956 it runs for 40 feet on a wind.
https://books.google.ch/books?id=MS0DAA ... ng&f=false
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Guess I've had a couple overachieving ones. Not quote a whole roll but more than 40ft in my experience. Big difference between that one and the Russian K3 that I seemed to be always winding.
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

I wish EK would reissue the K100. I have Bolexes, an a-minima, and two Arris. My favorite camera to shoot with is the K100, even though I love my Bolexes more.

The K100 is a convenient shape. It fits nicely into a video bag. It's not all sparkly like a Bolex, so it doesn't attract lookeeloos. And, as mentioned, it's got a REALLY long spring. The only "problem" I have with it is that there is no viewfinder for a 10mm lens, so I have to use 14mm finder and guess what's in frame. It usually works out.

K100 gets a little jumpy when the aperture plate wears out, and that's the inevitable result of use. There are no replacement aperture plates to be found, as far as I can tell. So when my first K100 got worn too much, I had to find another one, with an unworn aperture plate, on ebay. It took several purchases to find one.
Pj

Post by Pj »

16mm cameras are simpler and bringing back a camera like the K100 should be much easier than producing a new Super 8 camera.

Pav
Krasnogorskistan

Post by Krasnogorskistan »

Totally agree with you Pav. Sorry to say it but I think Koda's Super8 experiment is a wild goosechase.

What I think is really needed, and would have played to all Kodak's strengths as a film-stock producer, is greater variety in the emulsions they offer. The Ektachrome release news is good, but I don't think this has been extended to 16mm. Fatal mistake. I like the Vision Stocks, but what is the colour alternative? AGFA has an interesting pallette, but something approaching Fuji colours would be rewarded with sales too in my opinion...
Pj

Post by Pj »

I may be wrong, but personally I think the Kodak Super 8 camera has been a great publicity exercise to re-generate interest in film and the brand, I don’t think it was ever about making a great affordable camera. For years Kodak as a brand was everywhere and everyone new what Kodak was, but in recent years a lot of people, especially youth don’t know what Kodak is. Many people thought Super 8 was dead, but since the talk about this new camera now millions know it’s alive and current. We hear about major film directors share their love for film and this seems to be in some way about allowing everyone to get to know film. I am sure the camera will be good when it’s released.

Pav
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Only before I return to the subject of 16mm:

The announced Super-8 camera does have a reflex system to divert light onto a sensor, from whose data a monitor image is created. The early Kodak Instamatic M2 and M4 had a simple peep-through parallax finder, the M6 and the vast majority of Super-8 cameras had a TTL reflex viewing system. I shall never understand why Kodak makes an electronically crippled internal reflex camera. Even the old Ciné-Kodak Special’s reflex finder is better, usable until just prior to the exposure.

I am servicing a GIC 16 right now for someone. Although it has its flaws and weaknesses that camera is an honest thing and the two values of vertical and horizontal parallax can be compensated for with a rackover device. Simple does not mean useless but an LCD monitor that wastes electric energy only for showing me what I should have for free with some sort of sight, shame on Kodak!

Many 16mm cameras were designed and manufactured. The incomparable Bell & Howell Filmo 70 stands out. To me the DL model was the best, offering everything one could wish. Indefinite forward hand cranking, possibility to attach electric motors, critical focuser, focusing alignment gauge, parallax corrected finder, positive finder objectives that give bright images of the same size, oiler for the mechanism, and a lighttight housing without mastic and the like. Reelly the best of them all
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

My big issue with the filmo 70 is that every one I have ever held is double-perf, which pretty much just makes it a paper-weight to me. I'll stick with my ACL, S/B, and Beaulieu reflex control (depending upon what I'm shooting)

as for the new Kodak Super8 camera, I am excited to finally have a Super8 camera with no diopter. I have a f0.95 Soligor 25mm c-mount lens that I have never been able to get to actually focus on my Beaulieu as the diopter has to be spot-on to shoot wide open, and I can never get it exact enough. Plus, I'm excited for the prospect of shooting super8 with a steadicam rig (or even a gimbal)!
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

I had the bell & howell 70dl with the critical focuser. shooting close up and it came out blurry. sold the thing.