kodak

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

yolk

Re: kodak

Post by yolk »

it is an interesting read, thanks John:
http://investor.kodak.com/secfiling.cfm ... &CIK=31235

March 2017
Consumer Products:
Includes licensing of Kodak brands to third parties and consumer products such as the Super 8 camera. Kodak currently licenses its brand for use with a range of consumer products including batteries, cameras and camera accessories and recordable media. Kodak intends to continue efforts to grow its portfolio of consumer product licenses in order to generate both ongoing royalty streams and upfront payments.

Operational EBITDA
The $36 million decrease in the Consumer and Film Operational EBITDA was driven by the volume declines in Consumer Inkjet Systems as mentioned above ($24 million), as well as unfavorable costs in Motion Picture, Industrial Chemicals and Films ($12 million) primarily due to lower production volume. Also contributing were higher R&D costs ($6 million) due to increased investment in the Super 8 camera, lower revenues from brand licensing ($4 million), and unfavorable currency rates ($3 million). Partially offsetting these decreases were the favorable impact from a significant industrial films order ($6 million), the fulfillment of motion picture film volume commitments ($3 million) and lower costs in Consumer Inkjet ($2 million).
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

mr8mm wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:10 pm judging from the comment in the annual report about releasing the kodak name and symbol to the company making the S8 camera, Kodak is not making the camera. They have farmed that out. Actually while the camera is nice addition, there are many S8 cameras waiting for a good color reversal. The entire operation seems odd to me. A new camera, new labs when the cameras and labs already exist. They are just waiting for E6 film. The entire scheme seems a throwback to an earlier time when the customer base was much larger. The one thing that Kodak can do that no one else can do is make film. So, Kodak make the film!
https://businessfacilities.com/2015/06/ ... hester-ny/

May be got lost in the medical pharmacy :D the delay ?
doug

Post by doug »

Film... yes please Kodak ! We all yearn for Ektachrome.
A slow to medium speed reversal film is essential to keep S.8 (and 16) alive.
They don't need to spend on advertising because the name and quality is already in people's minds. So I would think easier and quicker to launch than a camera.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Naturally we associate the name Kodak with film. But in reality Kodak is a printer,printing and document company with a little real estate thrown in. So, to the decision makers at Kodak the printing company, film may be at the bottom of the list for any action. Regarding Hollywood's need for film, colour reversal probably is not that important.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Kodak Alaris has confirmed on a FB post today that the Ektachrome will roll out in early 2018.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
doug

Post by doug »

Tscan wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:46 am Kodak Alaris has confirmed on a FB post today that the Ektachrome will roll out in early 2018.
So that probably means next summer ?
If so, there's a window for Ferrania to launch theirs first !?
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Google Kodak Alaris. The comments are not encouraging. Dissatisfied employees, layoffs, difficulty making payroll. I think Kodak shoveled off all the failing divisions and products to Alaris and said go for it boys and good luck.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

mr8mm wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:14 pm Google Kodak Alaris. The comments are not encouraging. Dissatisfied employees, layoffs, difficulty making payroll. I think Kodak shoveled off all the failing divisions and products to Alaris and said go for it boys and good luck.
Maybe Alaris is banking on Ektachrome for a shot in the arm?
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Kodak Alaris making Ektachrome just doesn't add up. Our friends at Ferrania have shown that manufacturing color reversal film is not a simple nor inexpensive matter. Producing color reversal on a commercial scale requires complex chemistry and equipment and the personnel to put it together. Where is this expertise coming from? I would assume that film manufacturing expertise and equipment is with the motion picture film division. I have seen nothing from the motion picture film division regarding color reversal. If spring 2018 is the target date. They must produce not only film but a delivery system, boxes, cat numbers, etc. I don't think any of this has happened. If someone knows more than I know please speak up.
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

Well there was this from Kodak Motion Picture Film on September 13th:
https://twitter.com/Kodak/status/908054903666483200
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

The heavy weights have checked in. I have faith again. Or tweeted in.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Kodak Alaris also responded with a confirmation of 100 speed film. If I recall, Alaris is making the sheets, cutting for stills, and offloading sheets to Rochester Kodak for remjet, cut and load into carts.
c-stand

Post by c-stand »

This is practically a troll post
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Guessing this will be good news as they would try to bury or at least not promote bad news.

From Kodak November 8:
Tune in next week for an update on Ektachrome. Only on #TheKodakery podcast.
https://twitter.com/Kodak/status/928276037397606402
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »