kodak

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mr8mm

kodak

Post by mr8mm »

Kodak stock has been dropping almost daily since they announced the first profitable quarter. Although making a profit, sales have been dropping that is why the stock is falling off the cliff. The stock has gone from over $30 to under $7. The market does not have faith that Kodak will be a viable company. Film is actually a small part of Kodak earnings. So, don't be surprised if the new Ektachrome never happens. J.S.
inlieubeaulieu

Re: kodak

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

how dour. I'd be very saddened if Kodak were to fail and I'd probably go bankrupt myself stockpiling film should they completely dissolve. I do have to say, however, that we (the nw film center) sold more film in the last 2 months than at any point while I've been working there (and Kodak was out of stock on the last Super8 order). If collapse is inevitable, perhaps Eastman Labs could break away and retune to the "niche" market, whilst still providing professional product.
doug

Post by doug »

I don't know what proportion of Kodak is film sales, but I'm surprised if that part isn't making money. I sell still film in my shop, and I too have noticed a great increase of sales in the past several months, 35mm and 120 included. And I'm sure people would also be buying the 35mm and super-8 Ektachrome if it was available (and at a reasonable price). Wittnerchrome, the current alternative, is a slow seller because it is relatively expensive and an unknown name to most people. Ferrania's name would have a substantial advantage, if that ever happens.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

mr8mm wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:14 pm Kodak stock has been dropping almost daily since they announced the first profitable quarter. Although making a profit, sales have been dropping that is why the stock is falling off the cliff. The stock has gone from over $30 to under $7. The market does not have faith that Kodak will be a viable company. Film is actually a small part of Kodak earnings. So, don't be surprised if the new Ektachrome never happens. J.S.
This would be a very cruel Joke By kodak ? still the way big business runs this day & age is all beyond me .
maybe there not meant to make a profit for tax reasons ?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Stock prices can be manipulated by market makers on the floor as well as large institutional stock holders who bailed out seeking greener pastures.
The critical thing is business is profits not gross revenue.
Would you rather own a business that grossed 100 million dollars in sales but showed no profit
or a business that grossed 1 million dollars in sales and did a $200,000. profit?
The fact that Kodak showed a profit shows their management is making the right moves. Who cares about the stock price ...ever see a company go out of business that was making a profit ?
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Reborn member since Sept 2003
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

50D is sold out on their site. If it comes back, all is well. If it gets discontinued, then if worry.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Tscan wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:35 pm 50D is sold out on their site. If it comes back, all is well. If it gets discontinued, then if worry.
I don't think they're sold out...try calling the 800 number. That retail web site has always been a little strange about products coming on and off. Fascinating that B&H is selling Super 8 film for $10 more than Kodak does directly.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Checking the Kodak 2016 annual report shows that the film division contributes less than 10% to Kodak revenues. Kodak is a commercial printing company not a film company and if big Hollywood studios had not agreed to support film I doubt there would be Kodak film. Only two companies make the bulk of the film division sales and revenues. There is no mention of Ektachrome film in the annual report and the only reference to Super 8 is a comment that the Kodak brand was being used by the company planning to make the new super 8 camera. It is unfortunate that someone from Kodak is not part of this forum and could enlighten us about the what is happening at Kodak.
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

Will2 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:37 pm
Tscan wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:35 pm 50D is sold out on their site. If it comes back, all is well. If it gets discontinued, then if worry.
I don't think they're sold out...try calling the 800 number. That retail web site has always been a little strange about products coming on and off. Fascinating that B&H is selling Super 8 film for $10 more than Kodak does directly.
yeah, we just got our delayed shipment of 50D in and they're definitely not discontinuing it! It's probably their best selling Super8 film (it and Tri-X are certainly OUR best selling S8 film) and they've even got new packaging! I hope they decide to put out a 250D cartridge!
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Kodak has raised the price of S8 TRI-X from $20.50 to $25.95. Bringing TRI-X price in line with other super 8 products. B&H has increased their price to be more in line Kodak's new price but not as high as the V3 products. Unfortunately Kodak does not give retail sellers much of discount that is why B&H sells at a high mark up. Sellers associated with an educational institute get near 30% discount allowing these organizations to offer film at prices closer to the Kodak catalog price and still make a profit.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

I don't really want to say this, but I don't think there will be a new Super8 camera nor Ektachrome coming from Kodak. I think they missed their window. It is really sad and I really would have hoped they could have gotten this out a year ago when the anticipations and hype was still there. Now, with constant delays and excuses I loose the faith in them. I want to talk them "up" and be positive about it, but when you hype something and nothing happens for close to 2 years it is not good.

My 2 cents...
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

don't really want to say this, but I don't think there will be a new Super8 camera nor Ektachrome coming from Kodak. I think they missed their window. It is really sad and I really would have hoped they could have gotten this out a year ago when the anticipations and hype was still there.

Hype seems to be this new way of todays marketing , With poor delivery .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

nikonr10 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:14 pm don't really want to say this, but I don't think there will be a new Super8 camera nor Ektachrome coming from Kodak. I think they missed their window. It is really sad and I really would have hoped they could have gotten this out a year ago when the anticipations and hype was still there.

Hype seems to be this new way of todays marketing , With poor delivery .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM
Yet they keep releasing digital products without much hype or warning. They are making T-shirts and launching promotions around the S8 camera still, so I think we will see it but it better be soon!!! I agree if they wait any longer they will miss their window if not already. I would advise any and all to call the 1-800 # this week... show some interest and encouragement to get that damn thing out by Christmas.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

judging from the comment in the annual report about releasing the kodak name and symbol to the company making the S8 camera, Kodak is not making the camera. They have farmed that out. Actually while the camera is nice addition, there are many S8 cameras waiting for a good color reversal. The entire operation seems odd to me. A new camera, new labs when the cameras and labs already exist. They are just waiting for E6 film. The entire scheme seems a throwback to an earlier time when the customer base was much larger. The one thing that Kodak can do that no one else can do is make film. So, Kodak make the film!