New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Will2

Re: New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Post by Will2 »

inlieubeaulieu wrote:now I just need to find an Éclair ACL
If you ever get one, talk to Bernie at Super 16 Inc. He lived ACL's for many years and he's probably to top guy in the U.S. for any kind of work done on them.

He might have a line on one for sale too. He's worked on my Scoopics too. Anyone with a K3 should have their mirrors polished with his laserbrighten process. Makes it much more bright.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Double Post
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

Will2 wrote:He might have a line on one for sale too. He's worked on my Scoopics too. Anyone with a K3 should have their mirrors polished with his laserbrighten process. Makes it much more bright.
Oh yeah, Bernie is my go to guy for any camera tech (also because he's the only guy doing this work that I can afford!)... haven't thought to ask him on leads for an ACL (I have a current lead on one, but it's an English version w/ only 200ft mags).
Will2

Post by Will2 »

inlieubeaulieu wrote:
Will2 wrote:He might have a line on one for sale too. He's worked on my Scoopics too. Anyone with a K3 should have their mirrors polished with his laserbrighten process. Makes it much more bright.
Oh yeah, Bernie is my go to guy for any camera tech (also because he's the only guy doing this work that I can afford!)... haven't thought to ask him on leads for an ACL (I have a current lead on one, but it's an English version w/ only 200ft mags).
He has strong opinions about English vs. French versions. I'll leave it at that.
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

This could be a game-changer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Hopefully is a game changer. As of right now it will cost about $42 for 1 roll of fresh stock processed at an outside lab. When Kodak Switzerland was running (until 06 or 07?) K40 with prepaid processing and shipping mailer was $13.50 per roll. If you skipped the prepaid mailer and processing, it was $10 for the stock and Dwayne's would process for $9. Right now a roll of film is about $25, so i'm hoping they can put out a film and processing package for $30 or less, not including the scan. I made my last bulk order in 2013. have 5 assorted S8 carts left and holding my breath to see what the Fall brings :)
Reborn member since Sept 2003
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

I went to the suggested URL<kodak.com/go/lab> and found nothing about a lab opening in NY. Where did this come from?
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

it was posted on facebook
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

That's interesting that it is on Facebook but the official Kodak website has no mention of the lab. The website that Facebook directs to does not seem to have any info about new lab in NYC. Seems that not everyone at Kodak is reading the same memos. Also where is the new camera? Double also - it seems to me that if the film and processing are bundled this will hurt the independent processing labs that have supported small gauge film and kept it viable. It is sort of like --thanks guys but now get lost.
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

I'm thinking that this got leaked a little early (like, maybe an announcement will be coming Sept 1st, or something)

The NWFC has been in contact with Kodak about the cameras, and they are definitely still coming (we may get our hands on one to test out before the end of the year, too)

My hope is that Kodak is in the process of reevaluating it's pricing across the board (including chemistry), and if it works on a voucher program it could easily incorporate the many independent labs across the country. I think Kodak opening a lab in NYC makes sense, especially since there currently is no motion-picture lab in the city... I'm hoping they open a west-coast lab (like in Seattle, SF, Reno, or LA) so I don't have to keep shipping my film to CineLab (not that their work is bad, but that they take forever and are across the country, adding to shipping fees)

I'm mostly excited about this because transfer prices are so expensive on the west-coast (have you seen Spectra's transfer costs? geez! or Light-Press in Seattle charging $1 per foot for 1080p, ugh)
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

The NY lab was mentioned in their press release of May 18 in Cannes: http://motion.kodak.com/kodakgcg/fi/fi/ ... efault.htm

" INFRASTRUCTURE INVESTMENTS

Kodak is making strategic investments to ensure consistent and quality film services in production hubs and major markets. The company will open and operate a motion picture film-processing lab in New York City later this year, which will service 35mm, S16, Super 8 film processing and scanning. Kodak is also working with partners to sustain film processing capabilities around the world. In London, Kodak is making investments in introducing 65mm film processing in a region that has seen a huge increase in major productions shot on film. Great Britain has seen the production of the STAR WARS franchise and Europe is the location for a range of upcoming major releases that are shooting on 65mm, in addition to other film formats.

Kodak is also continuing to invest in upgrades to its film plant in Rochester, N.Y., in 2016, following extensive upgrades made in 2015, in order to meet growing demand for motion picture film. Many other companies, including equipment rental houses and labs around the world, have recently made strategic capital expenditures and infrastructure upgrades in the film space."
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

As a small format services business owner, the news about Kodak opening labs and scanning facilities scares me, atleast if they do so in Europe. I think we, the small film businesses has played a fair part in keeping the Super 8 scene alive and now we are about to be run over by the big K.

In the long run I think this is a bad move for Kodak. Why would they start competing in arenas they haven't offered services in for a long long time?

What are your thoughts?

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Andreas Wideroe wrote:As a small format services business owner, the news about Kodak opening labs and scanning facilities scares me, atleast if they do so in Europe. I think we, the small film businesses has played a fair part in keeping the Super 8 scene alive and now we are about to be run over by the big K.

In the long run I think this is a bad move for Kodak. Why would they start competing in arenas they haven't offered services in for a long long time?

What are your thoughts?

/Andreas
That's understandable. Some factors to think about... Their prices for scanning may not be that cheap, may take a long time to get back. I don't see one place taking over all of the worlds scan volume. Kodak has been faced with offering scan services in the past and has always responded by leaving it to the post houses. If the film and processing is cheaper and scans are about the same, it will end up being better for you. I think Kodak's main goal is to guide newbies to services they would not otherwise know how to navigate... which has been the drawback for newbies sniffing around the format for as long as I can remember. I'm not in business the way you are, but I do have a steady word of mouth service for artists. Lately i've been charging $10 per 50ft to 1080P with 1 day turn around local pick-up. If you have a base of clients, they may be better off sticking with your scans and just getting a price break on the film and processing.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

Here's some first test footage shot with the new Kodak super-8 camera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPouFRE ... r8_footage
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

Kodak just sent an email out if you subscribe to the newsletter that the new super 8 camera will be out in the spring of 2017 and another preview at ces 2017.