New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

pip

Re: New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Post by pip »

The results obtained from live sound recording with Super 8 cameras were not always high quality or particularly easy to use when the film itself had to be edited. But how convenient it would be today, for those who project film, to have professional stripe already fixed to the film for post-recording of commentary, music and effects!
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Andreas Wideroe wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 am On the contrary, I don't miss sound cartridges at all. Having sound striped on film is so 1970s. ;) Much better to use an external digital recorder today.
I miss them for how terribly bad they sounded. It was like a telephone recording. Uniquely horrendous.
doug

Post by doug »

Will2 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:33 pm
Andreas Wideroe wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 am On the contrary, I don't miss sound cartridges at all. Having sound striped on film is so 1970s. ;) Much better to use an external digital recorder today.
I miss them for how terribly bad they sounded. It was like a telephone recording. Uniquely horrendous.
The Beaulieu 5008 gunmike recordings were anything but horrendous. Excellent quality at 24fps.
The point is they were in perfect sync. I'm not sure if Kodak's SD option will be so ?
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

I'm not sure why some think the sound was terrible. I had good results. Maybe it's dependent on the microphone quality.
The beauty of sound cartridges was being able to capture synchronized picture and sound when people talked. You don't need super high fidelity for speech, just a good microphone so speech is clear.
Of course editing film with sound is problematic unless one separates the sound from picture onto perforated magnetic film for double system editing.
With the simpler method of leaving the sound on the film, one just had to be aware that the first 18 frames of a scene should not contain any sync sound if one wanted to later cut and reposition the scene during editing. The use as a guide track for synchronising would be very useful today.
Regards to the audio quality of the stripe, I found it to be surprisingly good. I dubbed stereo music onto the stripes via my Chinon SS1200 and was impressed how good it sounded through an amp and speakers. Frequency response is typically 50 - 12000 Hz on reasonable quality projectors.
If projectors were being made today the audio specs would be better with Dolby as standard, however if one is keen enough one can use an outboard noise reduction unit like Dolby or DBX on an existing projectors. Even surround sound is possible.
marc

Post by marc »

Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi!

Anybody already bought the camera?
https://vimeo.com/908158625
(No, it’s neither my video nor my camera.)

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.