Fixing a Lomo Lid

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

gaugefilm

Fixing a Lomo Lid

Post by gaugefilm »

Hi all,

I've had a Lomo lid break on me and I wondered if anyone out there has repaired a tank successfully with some kind of glue. It's one of my better tanks so it would be cool to fix it. I thought it would be a good idea to come on here and get some opinions before reaching for the araldite or super glue.

All the best
Kevin
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
71er

Re: Fixing a Lomo Lid

Post by 71er »

Hi Kevin!
I knocked the tank - the bottom part - against the tap in the dark one time. Part of the rim broke off, about 3 cm down. Out of desperation I glued it with super glue. Super glue does a very good job with the bakelite; it is in an area that is hardly touched by the chemicals but does get wet through the rinsing with water - the connection has been solid over the last two years. There might be more appropriate glues for bakelite, if you don't find them super glue is a possibility.
Alex
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
aj

Post by aj »

Some time ago someone posted the glue type in response to a discussion about fixing a crack in a Morse.
It they are both bakelite then the same glue could be used. Now find the thread... :)

Keep the surfaces free from contamination while waiting for repair!
Kind regards,

André
verydarkroom

Post by verydarkroom »

gaugefilm wrote: ...reaching for the araldite or super glue.
Well if the lomo is some kind of phenolic resin then Araldite should work very well. I've used it to mend broken bits and bobs on vintage bakelite radios and they've held really well over the years. Then again radios mainly sitting in one spot can't compare to the lid you're trying to fix as that would be put to stress every time you use it. Won't hurt to try. As to super glue, that would be good if it's a very clean break on the lid, but I'd go with Araldite.
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

Yes - I've repaired Lomos with Araldite. Works perfectly. Make sure the surfaces are cleaned, and you'll need some sort of vice (or equivalent) to hold the surfaces together as the glue dries. I just left a glued Lomo lid under some bricks for a day.

C
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

Thanks guys! Araldite it is!
www.gaugefilm.co.uk