Fixing a broken Bauer battery compartment - SUCCESS !

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

DTNethery

Fixing a broken Bauer battery compartment - SUCCESS !

Post by DTNethery »

I'm sure many of us have come across the beautiful late 1960's/ early 1970's Bauer Super-8 cameras such as the Bauer C2A, which have broken battery compartment doors ( this seems to be a design flaw common in this era of Bauer cameras) .

I have a Bauer C2A which was in perfect working order , except that the battery compartment door had cracked .
I was able to use either gaffer's tape or a velcro strap to keep the battery door on , but the velcro tended to loosen over time (so did not maintain firm contact of the battery terminals against the batteries) , and the tape method was unsightly. Neither solution was ideal.

I located a supplier in France who has Bauer spare parts , http://www.cine-super8.net/ .

I ordered the replacement part from Cine-Super8 (cost with shipping to the U.S. was about $21.89 dollars / 16.20 euros. The base price is 9.00 euros ) . This is more than I paid for the camera on eBay ($15.00) , BUT for me it was worth it to have the camera complete again , without the unsightly and awkward tape or velcro.

Cine-Super8 shipped the item quickly and I just wanted to post this link for any other Bauer C2A owners who have experienced the infamous battery door piece breakage and would like to have a source for replacing the part.

They have parts for other Bauer (and Nizo) cameras :

http://www.cine-super8.net/index.php?pg ... Bauer-Nizo

The part for the Bauer C2A is Bouchon de piles Bauer (4 piles)
Bouchon de poignée de piles (4 piles ) pour les caméras BAUER anciennes muettes de la série C1, C2, C2A, C2M, D1,D2, D2A, D2M

I'll probably purchase another one to keep on hand if this one ever breaks.

These are very nice cameras, with elegant styling . Bright, clear viewfinder and easy to focus. 12, 18, 24 fps (and single frame with cable release) , auto and manual exposure . Lens: Bauer Vario 1.8 / 7.5 - 60 mm zoom .

They can usually be purchased for between $10.00 - $45.00 on eBay , but frequently have the broken battery chamber door. (ask first if the seller doesn't mention it in the description ! And of course always ask if the interior of the battery chamber is clean or if it has corrosion)

Jean Poirier

Re: Fixing a broken Bauer battery compartment - SUCCESS !

Post by Jean Poirier »

A nice looking camera. Jean
verydarkroom

Re: Fixing a broken Bauer battery compartment - SUCCESS !

Post by verydarkroom »

Thanks for sharing, it's always so satisfying when an old camera is brought back to live, and especially more so when everything is restored to all original factory specs.

I am at the moment contemplating disassembling a cosmetically perfect Bolex 7.5 Macrozoom which isn't running, unfortunately it isn't a popular model and there's hardly any information regarding fixing one. I may be wrong but looks like the original leatherette has to be ripped off to split the shell. Wondering if anyone here has any advice for opening up the camera. Maybe I should start a new topic, but it may take Andreas weeks to approve the post... :twisted: