Modify 18 fps camera to run at 24 fps

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

DTNethery

Modify 18 fps camera to run at 24 fps

Post by DTNethery »

I've read about how with some cameras it is possible to tweak the potentiometer to increase the running speed from 18 fps to 24 fps .

Does anyone know how to do this to a Kodak M2 Instamatic ?

Apparently it can be done ....

Referencing this post :

http://forum.filmshooting.com/scripts/f ... f=1&t=5707

it is mentioned that the M2 could be modified to run at 24 fps.
woods01

Re: Modify 18 fps camera to run at 24 fps

Post by woods01 »

You could contact Clive Tobin and ask him about it. Part of the mod is adjusting the autoexposure for the faster rate. Probably more work that its worth, unless you've got such a camera handy and want to tinker. If you need a compact 24fps camera there are the models mentioned in that old thread, the M2 was an entry level camera so there are better options out there.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Many of the old S8 sound cameras had 24fps as an option. You may be able to find one in good condition for a low price since sound film is long gone.--J.S.
DTNethery

Post by DTNethery »

woods01 wrote:You could contact Clive Tobin and ask him about it. Part of the mod is adjusting the autoexposure for the faster rate. Probably more work that its worth, unless you've got such a camera handy and want to tinker. If you need a compact 24fps camera there are the models mentioned in that old thread, the M2 was an entry level camera so there are better options out there.

Yes I was thinking about contacting Clive Tobin to see what the cost would be , but I was curious if anyone knew how to do this and could give some information on the location of the pot on the M2 , so I could see if I could it myself (I have three working M2's so I have one that I'd sacrifice on the altar of "tinkering" , in case I botch the job) .

Part of the mod is adjusting the autoexposure for the faster rate.
Actually the Kodak Instamatic M2 has no auto-exposure . It's manual exposure only.

DTNethery

Post by DTNethery »

woods01 wrote:You could contact Clive Tobin and ask him about it.
Here's the official word from Clive:
Hello,

We never did actually offer this service, but we did at one time play with doing crystal control of the Kodak M2 camera.

The speed adjustment is tricky, there are two adjusting screws in the centrifugal governor that must, I think, both be changed at the same time and the same amount. I believe each screw controls a contact attached to a centrifugal weight that is in series with its separate winding on the motor armature. They have to both be changed for the camera to run smoothly. I don't know how they decided at the factory that the settings were correct and equal. Maybe they looked at the current waveform on a scope wired in series with the motor.

This governor is a gadget on the motor shaft that controls the speed. I doubt if the adjustment range includes 24 fps but you can try. You might have to turn the screws clockwise, I think, a few turns, I think, but this is not guaranteed as I haven't played with these cameras for years.

Good luck, Clive Tobin